Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How to make chicken cutlets for Shabbos that don't dry out?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:00 pm
I feel like anytime I try to make any recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts for Shabbos, they get dry and don't taste that good. It's a bigger problem for Shabbos day, but it happens even on Friday night. I usually cook Thursday night since I work pretty late on Fridays.

Give me an example of how you keep your schnitzel good.

What about a sesame chicken recipe? Or onion chicken fingers? etc.

bsy

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:18 pm
Before you use the cutlets, soak them in a mixture of baking soda and water for at least half an hour. Rinse and use regularly and they'll stay soft and moist. They'll be almost like dark chicken

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 4:28 pm
Dip in mayo then bread them. Bake covered.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:21 pm
Grill em! I don't have a real grill but I use a grill pan. As long as you don't cut them open until ready to serve, they're still moist and delicious for lunch.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:28 pm
seeker wrote:
Grill em! I don't have a real grill but I use a grill pan. As long as you don't cut them open until ready to serve, they're still moist and delicious for lunch.

I find that those are the ones that dry out the most...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:32 pm
Dip in mixture of ketchup & mayonnaise, bread them, spray with a bit of oil, bake uncovered at 350 for 20 min.

mochacoffee

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 6:58 pm
As others mentioned, mayo really keeps the schnitzel moist. I used to just do an egg mixture and breadcrumbs and they would dry out quickly. Now I do equal parts eggs and mayo and mix well with a fork to make a consistency similar to pudding. That alone keeps it moist but I also double dip them. Egg/mayo, breadcrumbs, egg/mayo, breadcrumbs. It seals in the egg/mayo mixture and keeps the breadcrumbs on the chicken. DH is a huge fan of schnitzel since I started doing it this way.

Edited to add that schnitzel baked doesn't need more than about 35 minutes in the oven and 35 minutes is for the thick cutlets. Thinner cutlers only need to be cooked for about 20-30 minutes. The longer schntizel cooks, the drier it gets.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 7:02 pm
I marinate them in an oil based marinade for a few hours and then grill

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 7:27 pm
lovemytwins wrote:
As others mentioned, mayo really keeps the schnitzel moist. I used to just do an egg mixture and breadcrumbs and they would dry out quickly. Now I do equal parts eggs and mayo and mix well with a fork to make a consistency similar to pudding. That alone keeps it moist but I also double dip them. Egg/mayo, breadcrumbs, egg/mayo, breadcrumbs. It seals in the egg/mayo mixture and keeps the breadcrumbs on the chicken. DH is a huge fan of schnitzel since I started doing it this way.

Edited to add that schnitzel baked doesn't need more than about 35 minutes in the oven and 35 minutes is for the thick cutlets. Thinner cutlers only need to be cooked for about 20-30 minutes. The longer schntizel cooks, the drier it gets.

I actually do the double-dip, as well, but not the mayo... I'll try that one, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note