Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/o why do men teach in girls' schools at all?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 8:58 pm
This is a mostly tangential spin-off from the shadchan husband talking to girls thread, where one poster said it's inappropriate for young men to teach girls.

I've been wondering for a long time why women's education is populated with so many male teachers and rabbis. What is the necessity?

Why are there male principals? Especially in high schools, they really don't get it. I went to a school like that. The rabbi is totally out of touch with girls' issues. Oh, he thinks he gets it, but he's a man.

There are all the issues that have occurred- especially in seminaries. It's so easy for a wicked man to abuse the system. It's harder to prevent these things in yeshivos, but why do we need men in girls' schools?! What is there to be gained other than potential sakana for the girls?

No, men don't know halacha better. A woman is perfectly capable of learning halacha l'maaseh the same way a man can. It doesn't take a Gemara genius. Gemara isn't practical halacha, anyway. If the woman who's teaching halacha has questions, she should have a Rav to speak to. But no reason a man needs to teach halacha- particularly since there are so many different shitos for everything. I came home from school so many times with things that the rabbi taught us were halacha, and then my father told me, "We don't hold that way."

Do they really teach hashkafa, Parsha, etc. better than women? Not in my experience.

What's the purpose of it?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:03 pm
I enjoyed having male teachers in sem. In general woman teachers are less grounded.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:06 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I enjoyed having male teachers in sem. In general woman teachers are less grounded.

You know how many bad situations there have been with male teachers in sem?

The owner of the 5 seminaries a few years ago? The teacher in Michlalah? Just a couple that come to mind...

And then you have the jokey mechanech in Michlalah who teaches in practically every seminary- and the girls all have inappropriate crushes on him and flirt with him... (I saw it in my classroom all the time).

The rabbeim with the sense of humor that everyone gravitates to...

What makes women teachers less grounded? I guess you can say they are in seminary, but that's a flaw with the seminary system itself.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:09 pm
I definitely see the point. I have learned so much from my rabbeim and it is an amazing opportunity to get to learn from some really chosuv men. (Rabbi Zukerman, Rabbi Shmuel Dishon, etc.) A relitave of mine even had R' Avigdor Miller as a Rebbi! That being said, there is a big difference between a distinguished, older rav and a young 30 year old guy. Most schools are careful with who they hire. In addition, the girls are very respectful and know their boundaries. It's not a chit chat situation.
Regarding men being the principle I agree with you; there have been many schools where it didn't work out. I will not name them here, but some of them hired a women to be the principle after a few years.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:17 pm
The thing is, several of these incidents have happened with older rabbis, not with men in their 30's.

There was a horrible story with a rabbi at a seminary in the Five Towns. He was actually considered the big "rabbi" of the seminary.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:25 pm
Like everything else in life JUDGEMENT

When I was in Sunday seminary after my main year in Chabad seminary we had Rabbi A Blumenkranz for Shabbos and Kasrus shiurim
That was a golden opportunity.

Shiurim by R A Miller was great

Conversely just listening to CDs in my car of someone [...]
I want to smack him upside his head
He is so obviously flirting with the girls

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:26 pm
Lashon hora is laahon hora no matter how you slice it, naturalmom5.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:29 pm
Because segregation is not the answer for teaching healthy relationships.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:36 pm
I would have gone out of my mind if I had only female teachers. Men and women (for the most part, obviously there are exceptions) have very different teaching methods, learning styles, and personalities. I just happen to enjoy listening to men better. even to this day well into my 30s I enjoy male speakers much more than females.
Obviously, like with everything in life we just need to be smart and teach our daughter's appropriate boundaries. For every male teacher that went wrong, there are probably 500 others out there that are amazing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:37 pm
seeker wrote:
Because segregation is not the answer for teaching healthy relationships.

לעולם יתרחק אדם ממקום סכנה

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:39 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I would have gone out of my mind if I had only female teachers. Men and women (for the most part, obviously there are exceptions) have very different teaching methods, learning styles, and personalities. I just happen to enjoy listening to men better. even to this day well into my 30s I enjoy male speakers much more than females.
Obviously, like with everything in life we just need to be smart and teach our daughter's appropriate boundaries. For every male teacher that went wrong, there are probably 500 others out there that are amazing

I also enjoy male speakers more than female. However, we're talking about a man walking into a room with a bunch of young, impressionable females.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The thing is, several of these incidents have happened with older rabbis, not with men in their 30's.

There was a horrible story with a rabbi at a seminary in the Five Towns. He was actually considered the big "rabbi" of the seminary.

And there have also been stories of rabbeim who molested their students. Should boys stop being taught by men?? Of course there can always be a crazy story.
That being said, I do know of schools who only hire female teachers.

Bruria

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 9:43 pm
The most competent person should be the one teaching, man or woman.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:05 pm
I prefer a man at the helm of a girls school. My daughters had incredible halacha rebbeim. I called my 12th grade kashrus rabbi after I was married to go over how to cook meat and dairy if I have 1 oven.
Female teachers are more chumradik, less forgiving in my experience. I find girls schools where theres a Rav over the menaheles are healthier. Women get serious Napoleon complexes.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:08 pm
Women don't teach boys.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:12 pm
I had a male teacher in high school 12th grade who taught us hilchos yichud of all things. was totally weird. he told us the story of the gur boy who saw a lady and asked his father what it was.

his father answered him 'its a tree'
so the boy said , tatty, can you buy me one of those trees?

obviously its a joke. but this is the story he felt the need to tell us for some reason.

I dont see the purpose of having male teachers at all

amother
White

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:16 pm
Ugh there was so much giggling by my high school classmates over the halacha rebbes; and no one paid a word of attention. It was rediculous.
And I hated it- everything was presented in the style of gemarah (all the different viewpoints with no clear conclusions) rather than halacha )l'maaseh.

In seminary, the girls were warned that the male principal can come to the girls dorms at night/ early morning to check on us- what on earth how is that appropriate?!

Male principals checking the length of girls skirts etc. No just no.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:41 pm
It can be hard to find women who have comparative text knowledge to teach in seminary settings. High schools I imagine might have similar issues depending on the subject.

They exist of course. But when it comes to halacha, most advanced teaching requires someone with knowledge of the gemaras involved who can answer questions about those halachos.

In many cases I do think it is unnecessary to have men teaching hashkafa, especially the less text based type...

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:44 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:

In seminary, the girls were warned that the male principal can come to the girls dorms at night/ early morning to check on us- what on earth how is that appropriate?!

Male principals checking the length of girls skirts etc. No just no.

BH I don't think there was ever a man besides the plumber in our dorms the entire year in seminary. What reason would they have to come over?!?

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:45 pm
Bruria wrote:
The most competent person should be the one teaching, man or woman.

This. Applicable to boys' schools as well.

And s3xual predators of either gender should not be teaching kids at all.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics