Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you use a hot water urn that had a huge dead bug?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 10:53 pm
I had a new hot water pump stored in my garage. The box was already opened before I stored it a few years ago.
I took it out today and found a huge dead bug in it! I don’t want to use it! Dh says to wash it out and it’s fine....

We are going away for a few days and I wanted to bring something for hot water. I especially wanted it for shabbos... I thought this would have been perfect.

nchr

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 10:54 pm
Yes. I'd clean it and then use it.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 10:55 pm
I would use it, but it would be hard. Yuck!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 10:55 pm
If you wash it out really well and boil a batch of water in it first . Pour out and refill with new water.
I’ve had dead bugs on dishes and cups that were in storage and we washed them well and all was good.
I once found a dead mouse in my crockpot when we were doing construction ....I threw out the crockpot and couldn’t think of even washing it out.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:21 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
If you wash it out really well and boil a batch of water in it first . Pour out and refill with new water.
I’ve had dead bugs on dishes and cups that were in storage and we washed them well and all was good.
I once found a dead mouse in my crockpot when we were doing construction ....I threw out the crockpot and couldn’t think of even washing it out.

Ewwww

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:25 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

Bugs and mice are different, though.

With a bug, I'd probably wash it out well and boil it, as you mentioned.

With a mouse, I'd run for the hills and have DH toss it on the next block.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:30 am
I thought you meant would I use the water if there was a dead bug in it. Which I would not. Waterbug tea doesn’t appeal.

Of course I would use the urn. After cleaning it, naturally. Critters are a fact of life. You think a bug never crawled across the dishes in your kitchen cabinet? A fly never landed on your kitchen table? You just didn’t see it. (And what does the size of the bug have to do with anything?)

I can use an urn, having given mine to one of the kids. If you’re creeped out by your bug-defiled one, send it to me. There’s nothing wrong with it that a little soap and a lot of boiling water can’t fix. But do have the courtesy to discard the bug before you send it.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:37 am
Boiling water with sour salt is supposed to help clean build up on urns and such. Maybe clean with that, or some other hack will make you feel better

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:22 am
Ladies, for all those saying you would wash out and use.... I’m just saying that it was some sort of oversized bloody roach that must have lived in there for a long while.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:28 am
Op, if your budget allows it, I would just buy a new one. It would not be very pleasant to have to think about the roach every time you drink the water from it, especially on a trip. Treat yourself and get a new one Smile

nchr

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ladies, for all those saying you would wash out and use.... I’m just saying that it was some sort of oversized bloody roach that must have lived in there for a long while.

So you clearly dont want to use it. Clean it and donate it. Someone will be happy to use it. Buy yourself another one.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:33 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Op, if your budget allows it, I would just buy a new one. It would not be very pleasant to have to think about the roach every time you drink the water from it, especially on a trip. Treat yourself and get a new one Smile

Well, that’s what I was thinking!
Only thing is, I have a perfectly good one in use on a regular basis sitting on my counter. (It’s too large to take that with us)

Perhaps something small and inexpensive?

bassarah1

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:50 am
better than finding half a dead bug !

id clean and use

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well, that’s what I was thinking!
Only thing is, I have a perfectly good one in use on a regular basis sitting on my counter. (It’s too large to take that with us)

Perhaps something small and inexpensive?

Yes, a cute travel-size one sounds perfect.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:37 am
I get totally grossed out by these things. I would dump it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics