Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Anyone have a small garden?

lucky

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 1:05 pm
The ants r eating my plants up! any ideas?

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 1:22 pm
Nope Exclamation But whats the connection w/h small Confused

technic

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 6:27 pm
maybe bcos if u dont stop them the collection of plants will turn into a smaller garden...Wink

lucky

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 10:03 pm
Well, if my garden would be any bigger, I'd be a proffessional gardner.and I would probably know an answer to the problem.

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 10:46 pm
Quote:
Well, if my garden would be any bigger, I'd be a proffessional gardner

Well my garden is quite big and I'm far from professional Scratching Head

queen

Post Mon, Jul 11 2005, 11:55 pm
Do you have a good plant store in the area where you can stop in and ask them what they advise?

lucky

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 7:23 am
Picked the first ripe tomatoes today. Yumm.

micki

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 9:46 am
could be something else eating it- ants don't eat plants- or at least mine don't!
go to walmart they have these sprays against insects. but if you enviroment friendly then go to gardens alive! they have natural insecticides that are not dangerous.
my kids take such pride in their gardens!
we grow:
tomatoes
cucmber
pepper
eggplant
lettuce
arugala
peas
cantalope
buternut squash
beets
and hopefully the green beans and carrots will sprout

what do you have?

lucky

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 9:56 am
tomatoes, squash, peas, peppers.Thr tomatoe plants are taller than I am. I planted too many plants in to a small space. The squash and tomatoes are competing for space.

I saw the ants on the squash plants. I know they usually don't eat the plants, but I read that they attract certain pests that damage the plants.

Aphids are on my petunias. Yuck. I am going to have to do some serious pest control.

queen

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 10:02 am
When I was young I had a garden and loved it! tomato, zuchinni, carrots and eggplant. I'd highly recommend planting with your kids... it's a great project and something they can watch grow, and enjoy.

lucky

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 10:06 am
Kids get to see that these things don't grow on the shelf. All the neighborhood kids like to take turns watering and picking. My 12 yr old did most of the planting. My 13 yr old is not interested in it.

Tefila

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 1:14 pm
Talking about plants we have a rhubarb plant in our garden so I make lots of things w/h it. And nope I didn't plant it 8) it was already here ,and needs so little maintenance it's a mechaya though the leaves r poisenous so have something to guard around it.
We also have an apple tree but it's gotten way out of control how do I limit the amount of apples it grows, or does the tree have to be pruned What

sarahd

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 4:11 pm
Why doesn't anyone plant corn? There is nothing in the world like freshly picked corn dunked into boiling water..you don't even need the butter and salt! Yummmmmm.

queen

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 4:36 pm
sarahd wrote:
There is nothing in the world like freshly picked corn dunked into boiling water

I'd suggest first boiling the water, and only after- picking the corn....
don't think you could get any fresher than that!

queen

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 4:47 pm
My parents had an avacado tree growing in the backyard which bore a LOT of fruit! and ended up costing us a lot of money, LOL!

We were traveling to Israel for a vacation, and each time my mother turned her back (from packing) my sister threw in another avacado into the suitcase. My mother couldn't understand why our bags were so heavy.... and we ended up having to pay for overweight....

well, LOLOLOLOLOLOL- we all had a good laugh as we unpacked. between every shirt, shoe or what have you- out rolled another avacado!!!

Tefila

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 5:45 pm
Queen wasn't u'r sis worried that it may get soft and mushy and ruin clothes and all Scratching Head And then dealing w/h this Banging head and ending up w/h a Black Eye?

gryp

Post Tue, Jul 12 2005, 8:59 pm
queen- that story is hysterical. but why on earth would you have to bring avocados to israel? they grow plenty there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics