Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is it possible to improve spelling?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 5:52 pm
I've always been a good speller. I didn't read a lot as a child (except the Harry Potter books). I was my class proofreader in high school and college. I have encountered many, many bad spellers over the years.

People always tout reading as a way to improve spelling and grammar, but I have my doubts. I have friends and colleagues who are well-read, educated, and brilliant, but spelling is their Achilles heel. I know others who barely read and would win a spelling bee any day.

Is there really a way to (significantly) improve spelling? Or is it just an inborn thing?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 5:55 pm
I read a ton - terrible speller. I don't much worry about it now - I rarely make handwritten notes.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 7:30 pm
I am highly educated and consider myself an intelligent person.
(To put in perspective-Ivy educated, almost perfect score on math SAT and GREs and perfect score on the logic section of the GREs).
I cannot spell for the life of me. My spelling is so poor that often spellcheck cannot even identify the word.
I have no memory for sight words and often cannot hear the difference in vowel sounds or between some of the different consonants (d&t). Double letters in words with multiple consonants complete throw me (tomorrow/broccoli... without spellcheck, I could and would easily double the m instead or the r, and the l instead of the c). I literally sit there saying I before e except after c ..... and any other "rule " when I write.
Oh, and in regard to reading, I read 2-3 books a month.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 8:06 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I am highly educated and consider myself an intelligent person.
(To put in perspective-Ivy educated, almost perfect score on math SAT and GREs and perfect score on the logic section of the GREs).
I cannot spell for the life of me. My spelling is so poor that often spellcheck cannot even identify the word.
I have no memory for sight words and often cannot hear the difference in vowel sounds or between some of the different consonants (d&t). Double letters in words with multiple consonants complete throw me (tomorrow/broccoli... without spellcheck, I could and would easily double the m instead or the r, and the l instead of the c). I literally sit there saying I before e except after c ..... and any other "rule " when I write.
Oh, and in regard to reading, I read 2-3 books a month.

I have to mentally say “Tom or row” to spell it correctly.

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 8:09 pm
Of course one can improve spelling!

As with anything else, it has to become enough of a priority to put effort into.

Although some may be more naturally gifted than others, there's nothing magic about working to improve one's spelling.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:12 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I have to mentally say “Tom or row” to spell it correctly.

Yes, but I have to think long and hard if it is;
"tom or row" or "tom mor ow"
And I am FOREVER second guessing myself.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:14 pm
Yes! now there is spellcheck Very Happy!

pizza4

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:16 pm
I consider myself a good speller and still have those little hints for long words.
And I also remember the I before e except after c sometimes!
I think these hints help you spell better. Make your own hints.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics