Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Looking for a top speech therapist
Previous  1  2

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 10:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For the people telling about frumi Garfunkel, what was your child’s issue that she was able to help with?

I used her agency but a different therapist.
Mainly articulation. Swallowing. Tongue thrust. It was a whole mouth solution. And there is constant re-evaluation.
But there was no quick fix. It really took years. But along the way improvement was obvious.

emi1812

Post Thu, Nov 14 2019, 12:29 am
The best person to address oral function for airway and feeding, swallowing, tongue thrust, tongue ties, breathing issues is Shira Kirsch. She’s actually a certified orofacial myologist in Howell and top top notch!!!
Please don’t get me wrong: Frumi is wonderful and great with treating language issues, but honestly from my personal experience she isn’t really that knowledgable at all about oral function for airway, feeding, swallowing, ties, tongue position etc. The members of the tongue tie group I’m in know a lot more than she does about the impact on function lol.
I also happen to know a lot more about these things myself due to my personal and professional experience (I’m a therapist too). Plus I know who truly has the right certification, training, experience, and network connections with other multidisciplinary professionals thanks to my own professional background as a clinician. I was able to discern how much (and how little) Frumi knew when I had taken my own child to her for a screening. Shira is by far wayyyy more knowledgable than her, no comparison! Frumi did a 5 second glance at my kid’s mouth, didn’t even know how to position my kid correctly or how to conduct a clinically appropriate oral exam-she didn’t even touch my kid’s face or mouth! (She doesn’t have any training or certification in this area, btw.) I was cringing the entire time!!! Whereas Shira did a comprehensive 2 hour eval with face and mouth measurements, assessing my child’s breathing, I even had to bring in different food textures for the feeding portion of the assessment and Shira took pictures and videos and measurements throughout to document the entire evaluation, donned gloves and examined my child’s mouth, jaw, and orofacial musculature in the appropriate positions. Shira also gives a report detailing everything and providing goals.

As for a comprehensive language/social pragmatic eval, I know somebody who is absolutely outstanding and beyond thorough! The downside: you’ll have to be willing to pay a lot (it’s pricey and she doesn’t take insurance) and travel over an hour. But she is amazing and you will definitely be getting every penny’s worth!

wearingmycrown

Post Fri, Nov 15 2019, 12:24 am
Chaya Sitorsky. Social language and articulation. Very successful.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:05 am
Looking for a top speech therapist in Monsey, (through insurance). My 4 yo SN DS speaks very unclear. He's got the language part bh, but we cant understand his words.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries