Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
American Style

corolla

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 7:21 am
How would you define American/Western style in interior decorating? I'm planning on moving out of the country, but want to decorate my home in a style that I'm used to. How would you encapsulate this style and how to achieve it (budget consciously)?

MiriFr

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 7:35 am
There are like 10 different styles I can think of!
What do you like?
Mid century modern is very in. Look for tapered legs on furniture, clean & straight lines, geometric prints for pillows. Walls should be very light- either white or gray or grayish. If you're brave, you can do one very dark wall in living room. Wood floors (preferably gray wood), no carpet. Lots of greenery/small plants/terrariums. White linen curtains. If you're brave, dining room can be darker- like dark gray or navy blue. Cool bubble light fixtures.

corolla

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:10 am
MiriFr wrote:
There are like 10 different styles I can think of!
What do you like?
Mid century modern is very in. Look for tapered legs on furniture, clean & straight lines, geometric prints for pillows. Walls should be very light- either white or gray or grayish. If you're brave, you can do one very dark wall in living room. Wood floors (preferably gray wood), no carpet. Lots of greenery/small plants/terrariums. White linen curtains. If you're brave, dining room can be darker- like dark gray or navy blue. Cool bubble light fixtures.

I'm not really a fan of mid-century modern. I prefer cleaner lines and a more modern, minimal style. Love darker wood floors! Thanks so much for this!

MiriFr

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:16 am
corolla wrote:
I'm not really a fan of mid-century modern. I prefer cleaner lines and a more modern, minimal style. Love darker wood floors! Thanks so much for this!

K so what you're looking for is called minimalistic or Nordic style. You can also do minimalist glam, which just incorporates metallic textures, like shiny gold legs on accent chairs and lots of mirrors. Maybe a black couch, some navy velvet pillows, white fur elements.

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:30 am
I don't think there is such a thing as "American" style as contemporary relaxed style is pretty universal. I mean there are some recognizable styles like French Provincial or English Regency but at this point they aren't confined to a country but are more style choices as there are people in the US with very traditional tastes who decorate in a more formal manner that originated in Europe. There are certain ethnic groups living in the US who seem to favor more formal styles - in my opinion much frum furniture is not contemporary looking and tends to be more "old fashioned" and form.

I am not sure why it matters - collect pictures of rooms and homes that you like and then use those as inspiration. Depending on where you are located, there are choices available at all price points. Of course, good quality furniture - whatever the style - generally is not cheap but there are ways to design attractive rooms and homes on a budget.

corolla

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:31 am
MiriFr wrote:
K so what you're looking for is called minimalistic or Nordic style. You can also do minimalist glam, which just incorporates metallic textures, like shiny gold legs on accent chairs and lots of mirrors. Maybe a black couch, some navy velvet pillows, white fur elements.

Sounds amazing (and IKEA friendly Wink )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics