Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shemonah esrai question

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:38 pm
I am too embarrassed to ask my LOR..at the end if shemonah esrai after you take 3 steps forward are you supposed to do 3 heel lifts..I have seen people do this and others not

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:26 pm
It's a girl's thing. Men don't do it.

It's a mistake.

If one finishes davening shemona esrei (in shul) at the same time that the chazan reaches kedusha, he/ she should do the 3 heels lifts that are required for kedusha.
And from this women derived the halacha that you ALWAYS must do it...
At least this is what I heard from either my brothers or husband. Don't remember which one...

But I definitely am not a rav. Just what I heard...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:30 pm
That's what I thought. I used to do it cuz I think I lear8that in school 100 years ago, but then I read you don't, but then I saw a man doing it this shabbos...

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:32 pm
Did he finish when the chazan was up to kedusha?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:39 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Did he finish when the chazan was up to kedusha?
nope he was behind , alot of kavana, and finished when the chazzan was way past kedusha

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:44 pm
So idk. But it's also possible that some men are confused.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:01 pm
According to Rabbi Arthur Megillah, Art Scroll to his pals, you take three steps back, say your oseh shalom bowing left, right and center,pause for a few moments and then take three steps forward. No heel lifts though I’ve seen lots of people do them. Probably used to myself but gave them up for Lent.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:07 pm
zaq wrote:
According to Rabbi Arthur Megillah, Art Scroll to his pals, you take three steps back, say your oseh shalom bowing left, right and center,pause for a few moments and then take three steps forward. No heel lifts though I’ve seen lots of people do them. Probably used to myself but gave them up for Lent.

Thanks and hahaha to ur lent line.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:39 pm
No. It’s a mistake both men and women often make.
After you take the three steps forward you’re supposed to just pause for one second before you walk away.
No heal lifts.

chestnut

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:10 pm
Omg, I didn't know you aren't supposed to do it with heels. I learned it by observing.
Thanks!

pizza4

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:16 pm
I think people do that to remind you to pause a few seconds before walking away.

Optione

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:44 pm
Here's my understanding:
People in shul will take 3 steps back for oseh shalom and then stand there until kedusha. They come forward in time to "rise" in their steps for kedusha. If you're not doing it as part of kedusha, then there's nothing to it.

Flip Flops

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:51 pm
There was a thread on this not so long ago. It's total nonsense. Some say it started because ppl finish shmone esrei and went straight into kedusha. Others say the origin is from people who want to make sure not to rush off too fast.
Eitherway you do not have to do it (though I still do because old habits die hard!!)

lucky14

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:05 pm
Well now I feel really stupid for doing this. Thank you for bringing it up. I always wondered why not everyone did it...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions