Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Are your Shabbos dishes dishwasher safe?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:46 pm
I’m looking for a set and I’m wondering if I should get one that is dishwasher safe

Gracie

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:47 pm
Most definitely get dishwasher safe! I didn't and regret it very much

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:53 pm
Yes! Go for a set that don't have gold or silver painted on.
I went with a white China with white relief. Still going strong after 15+ years.

erm

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:55 pm
why wouldn't you get one that is dishwasher safe??!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 8:02 pm
I have Corelle. Dishwasher safe, yes.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 8:05 pm
I have silver dishwasher safe

cnc

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 8:16 pm
Yes .

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 8:30 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I have silver dishwasher safe

Do you mean white china with silver trim?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 8:30 pm
When I bought mine they told me they're probably ok in the dishwasher. I took a gamble and bought them. After a few washes the gold trim started to fade, so I now only hand wash them. Very annoying. In the future I'd get without gold trim.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 8:50 pm
Years ago, manufacturers thought that promoting their dishes as hand wash only made them seem more exclusive. What they found is that sales of formal tableware tanked. People don't want to be stuck with a pile of dishes after entertaining. Now just about all dishes are dishwasher safe. Some stores haven't gotten the memo, though, so check with the manufacturer.

And while we are on the subject, sterling silver is safe in the dishwasher, too. Depending on how hard the water is where you live, crystal may or may not be ok.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 11:20 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Years ago, manufacturers thought that promoting their dishes as hand wash only made them seem more exclusive. What they found is that sales of formal tableware tanked. People don't want to be stuck with a pile of dishes after entertaining. Now just about all dishes are dishwasher safe. Some stores haven't gotten the memo, though, so check with the manufacturer.

And while we are on the subject, sterling silver is safe in the dishwasher, too. Depending on how hard the water is where you live, crystal may or may not be ok.

Do you have a whole set of sterling silver plates? Better safe than sorry, hand wash your silver items and crystal.

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:25 am
Yes, I would never use my dishes if they couldn't go in the dishwasher.

s c

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 3:20 am
Have a stunning shabbos set that doesnt go in dishwasher and I regret it every single week but I spent too much on it for me to do over.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 3:57 am
I have a gorgeous set that was passed down generations in my family. It's bone china and delicate. They didn't have dish washers when it was made.

I have Lennox which is dishwasher safe, but it gets hand washed. Same with my Spode.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 4:33 am
OP, just throwing this out here because I learned the hard way. It was the lemon scent in the dishwasher detergent that made the trim on the china dishes fade. Regular dish detergent won't do that.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 5:07 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Do you have a whole set of sterling silver plates? Better safe than sorry, hand wash your silver items and crystal.

I've been putting sterling silverware in the dishwasher for about 16 years with no damage. I spoke to the people at Wallace silver and they said it's fine. I haven't seen any ill effects.

Glasses and older dishes with gold trim shouldn't go in the dishwasher.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 5:36 am
I wouldn’t dream of buying dishes that aren’t dishwasher safe and I don’t even own a dishwasher or intend to acquire one. Who needs stuff that has to be handled with the sort of care you’d lavish on your newborn infant? It’s just STUFF. You can’t take it with you and it won’t get up and say lovely things about you at your funeral. (And a zoch un vey if all anyone can say about you at your funeral is “she took such wonderful care of her elegant hand-wash-only tableware.”)

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:38 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I've been putting sterling silverware in the dishwasher for about 16 years with no damage. I spoke to the people at Wallace silver and they said it's fine. I haven't seen any ill effects.

Glasses and older dishes with gold trim shouldn't go in the dishwasher.

The only issue with silver is if it touches stainless steel, which causes the silver to tarnish.

I wash my silver (plate) and china in the dishwasher all the time. If it fades, it fades. I'd rather use it, enjoy it and wear it out than have it sit in a cabinet until it gets passed to whichever kid is willing to accept it.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 9:17 am
zaq wrote:
I wouldn’t dream of buying dishes that aren’t dishwasher safe and I don’t even own a dishwasher or intend to acquire one. Who needs stuff that has to be handled with the sort of care you’d lavish on your newborn infant? It’s just STUFF. You can’t take it with you and it won’t get up and say lovely things about you at your funeral. (And a zoch un vey if all anyone can say about you at your funeral is “she took such wonderful care of her elegant hand-wash-only tableware.”)

I hear you. However there is a mitzva of beautifying the Shabbos table. The disposable dishes are not going with anyone upstairs and will also not speak at the funeral. However, the are quite a few arguments of not using disposables (not lichvod Shabbos, the environment concern and also always being the most expensive choice, even more expensive than Rosenthal and other high market brands.)

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 9:28 am
My mom told me that you can put good dishes in the dishwasher if you open it right away to let the steam out when it's done. Her dishes have gold trim and have held up for many years and mine have silver trim and are holding up well too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics