Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to lose weight and keep it off.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 12:54 pm
Emotional wrote:
It may also be that your new healthy way of life has given you, quite simply, physical energy to stay on top of these tasks. Whereas beforehand you were too tired and breathless to even think about it. No?

I’d think that except that I am still probably a hundred pounds overweight. Also, I was always a slob, even when smaller than I am now.

I think if you look at a weight chart, my suggested weight would be 110-115 or so. We all know that is not realistic for most people but even if I’m 80 pounds overweight, that’s more than some people who feel terrible at twenty or forty pounds over. I’m not sure it’s the weight loss itself. More likely the way I’m eating which a) means my blood sugar is steady and b) means I never run out of fuel.

Still, when I really think about it, the miracle is that I stayed at this long enough to actually develop in other ways, not just losing weight. I can not really think of any part of my life that this hasn’t impacted or improved. I don’t even miss the food I don’t eat- it’s not as though I am suffering from deprivation even.

Me. Organized. Bizarre.

Emotional

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:27 am
Andrea, I have another question. Do you really not miss the sugar and carbs? Ever? My next door neighbor just relapsed his cigarette habit after being nicotine free for years. You hear stories about addicts who die of an overdose after years of being clean. They say the desire to use, especially in times of stress, never really goes away. How is food addiction any different?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:42 am
Emotional wrote:
Andrea, I have another question. Do you really not miss the sugar and carbs? Ever? My next door neighbor just relapsed his cigarette habit after being nicotine free for years. You hear stories about addicts who die of an overdose after years of being clean. They say the desire to use, especially in times of stress, never really goes away. How is food addiction any different?

For me, I don’t know if I’d ever have learned that I would be completely ok as long as I totally avoided the things that give me insulin reactions, if I hadn’t had the blessing of the retinopathy dx. I wasn’t afraid to drop dead but was afraid to go blind. I had already cut sweeteners out fifteen years ago so when I started with under 20 g carbs, I had an almost instant ( within two days) state of ketosis which amazingly took care of my cravings for carbs.

Also, to be clear, I quit smoking over 25 years ago and KNEW that even one drag would be enough to get me started again. I was very clear from my time in OA which unfortunately had too many carbs in it for me, that if I ever got to a place of stability with food again, I would NEVER jeopardize it.

I really found out by accident. A wonderful accident. Since doing this, I have met many people like me. Hopeless and sick to healthy and feeling great. People who had given up hope.

My experience is that some people can cheat and get back in the wagon. I am not one of those people.

I eat very well, I don’t starve, I’m very careful to pay attention to what works for me and doesn’t. I’m on the brink of cutting out nuts because they don’t work for me. I’m ok with cutting things that don’t work for me or make me uncomfortable because I feel way better when I follow what works.

I don’t suggest starting what I do the way I do it because we are all different but I have noticed that in general the people who are very successful have some things in common no matter how they eat. Define success as you wish. I consider myself successful even with more weight to lose.

Consistently doing something is one of those things that we the successful do. I feel a little like it’s cheatin because chemically I just no longer desire those things. I’ll take it though.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 7:09 pm
Andrea I think you should become a consultant.😃
Any ideas what to eat for breakfast, that's very low carb, that doesn't include dairy or eggs? I suspect I may be allergic to those two. 😒

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 7:31 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Andrea I think you should become a consultant.😃
Any ideas what to eat for breakfast, that's very low carb, that doesn't include dairy or eggs? I suspect I may be allergic to those two. 😒

I eat all sorts of things that are not eggs or cheese! Chicken, meat, fish... there are no rules about what you eat for breakfast. Enjoy your food! Also thank you! For the moment I am happily working for Kars4kids and have many people I assist, without payment is fine for me!

Emotional

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:25 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I was very clear from my time in OA which unfortunately had too many carbs in it for me, that if I ever got to a place of stability with food again, I would NEVER jeopardize it.

Slightly off-topic, but just wondering. For those whose bodies need to go extremely low carb, but who would also benefit from what OA has to offer, can the OA plan (which I'm not familiar with) be tweaked to fit a low carb lifestyle?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:32 pm
What exactly is intermittent fasting? Do you have days that you fast?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:54 pm
Emotional wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but just wondering. For those whose bodies need to go extremely low carb, but who would also benefit from what OA has to offer, can the OA plan (which I'm not familiar with) be tweaked to fit a low carb lifestyle?

OA has different food plans. None of them were low enough carb for me to get to ketosis and stay there. Also the rigidity with which they define abstinence is s little lo matim li. I have a sponsor that almost ruined my life. She apologized later and I forgave her but I prefer my real support from professional people now. Again though, the steps are awesome. I’m just not nuts about the fellowship.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:04 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
What exactly is intermittent fasting? Do you have days that you fast?

Fasting is a long story. It happens naturally on a ketosis based diet. I fast and feast. Fasting I fly works with feasting. Read Jason fung for explanations

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 12:12 am
I think that OA can be used with whatever food plan you create that is nutritionally sound and sustainable long term. For some that is 3 weighed and measured meals. For you, it may include a bit more flexibility (but also a red line, however you define that, which you wont cross)

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 1:02 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I think that OA can be used with whatever food plan you create that is nutritionally sound and sustainable long term. For some that is 3 weighed and measured meals. For you, it may include a bit more flexibility (but also a red line, however you define that, which you wont cross)

Haha. I have many red lines! In any case, I learned some good stuff in OA and I apply it regularly. I just understand it now that I dint have triggers to my body in my diet all the time.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:05 pm
Great article by a guy my husband went to Jewish Day School with. Doesn’t matter what your food plan looks like. dr. Freedhoff is telling you how to live your best life and maintain it.

https://getpocket.com/explore/.....ewtab

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:09 pm
I got blood tests back today. My A1C is 5.3. Considering that 6.0 is prediabetic in Canada, I am happier and feeling safer than ever. #unmedicated diabetic

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:11 pm
https://I.imgur.com/CVcPfEN.jpg

flmommy

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:19 pm
andrea levy wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/CVcPfEN.jpg

Wow you look fantastic! Your skin looks more radiant as well.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:21 pm
flmommy wrote:
Wow you look fantastic! Your skin looks more radiant as well.

Thanks! I was wearing makeup in the second pic!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:31 pm
I just wanted to say that this is the third consecutive yom to that I stayed in my food plan through the yom Tovim. My weight is stable. I did not cheat. I eat the way I do most days but fasted less. I’m so grateful.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:44 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I just wanted to say that this is the third consecutive yom to that I stayed in my food plan through the yom Tovim. My weight is stable. I did not cheat. I eat the way I do most days but fasted less. I’m so grateful.

I'm 8 months on low carb. I didn't stick to it so well over Tishrei and my weight did climb a little. All those meals with challah, and eating mezonos every day of sukkos so I could say a bracha. I did eat much, much less of the carbs than I usually would though so I consider it a win. And I also realized that I just plain don't enjoy them the way I used to. I'm happy to get back to my low-carb. I don't regret going off it for the chag if only to learn that I'm not missing anything.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 9:57 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I'm 8 months on low carb. I didn't stick to it so well over Tishrei and my weight did climb a little. All those meals with challah, and eating mezonos every day of sukkos so I could say a bracha. I did eat much, much less of the carbs than I usually would though so I consider it a win. And I also realized that I just plain don't enjoy them the way I used to. I'm happy to get back to my low-carb. I don't regret going off it for the chag if only to learn that I'm not missing anything.

It’s pretty crazy when you realize that, right? It’s a win very time you realize something that’s a non scale victory!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 7:45 pm
https://I.imgur.com/wxBB3sL.png

https://I.imgur.com/dnpbdb2.png

I guess I’m a bit of a liar. Every time someone tells me I’ve lost weight, I say ‘no.’ Apparently I just didn’t notice the overall downward trend.. one year apart.
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise