Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn stays up btw feeding

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:21 pm
Hi ladies. Im at my wits end so any advice/tips would be appreciated.
So my almost 3 week old baby likes to basically stay up from 1 feeding to the next & then once fed he'll sleep a full 2-3 hours & then stay up again with some 5 minute cat naps.
For ex: ate at 6 nicely stayed up till 9 with a 5 min nap here & there & then was cranky the rest of the time. Ate again at 9 & then fell into deep sleep till 12.
I know it shouldnt be like this (he's not my 1st bh but my 1st hard one).
What can or should I do to get him to sleep in btw all feedings??

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:33 pm
Sounds normal to me. Maybe it’s not that he’s hard but that hit others were easy?

How is he overnight? Unless he’s up between feeds for 3 hours then I think you’re describing a baby definitely in the range of normal

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:38 pm
Why do you expect him to sleep nonstop?
I never had that with any of my kids. I think I would be nervous if my newborn did nothing but eat and sleep. Babies should have some awake time to interact and play and bond.
How much awake time will vary.
I had a newborn who took 4- 1.5 hr naps a day and was awake the rest of the time.
We played and laughed and I talked to him all day. Lots of tummy time too. He was holding up his own head really early.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:40 pm
My baby doesn't really sleep by day. It's very frustrating because he's tired and crying. He sleeps twice a day for 40 minutes and afew tiny cat naps here and there. Not all babies sleep for hours on end.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:41 pm
That would drive me crazy. My babies are easy but I also need them on a schedule. I use the baby whisperer (big white book)
My second was super sleepy and yeah just ate and slept til 3 months bc the eating part took an hour including burping, changing some cuddling etc. I don't keep them up more than 2h max max.

tichellady

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:41 pm
Sounds normal to me

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:55 pm
Try wrapping your baby. Keep him warm and snug. Shud do the trick maybe a noise maker too if needed.

byisrael

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:42 am
I want to 2nd the wrapping/swaddle - I find that when they aren't wrapped they reflexivly move hands/feet and wake themselves up

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:55 am
Im confused why a baby should sleep between all feedings.
That not normal.
IF YOU'RE BABY IS ALWAYS SLEEPING THAN THAT IS NOT GOOD

teachkids

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:51 am
That’s what my baby did. But I pushed her to do it for daytime feeding so she slept between nighttime ones

lucky14

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 4:05 am
There is no "should" with babies. But if you feel like your baby is tired or would like to see if with a little help he'll fall asleep then you can try to swaddle and rock (or walk around with them) with some white noise. If your baby uses a pacifier then you can give the pacifier while doing that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics