Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I want a masters degree!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:16 pm
I want to get a Masters degree.....in History
More so for intellectual pursuit than any other reason.
I have no interests that might yield a masters degree in a more lucrative career choice (ie finance, health, education, etc) but I feel the need to further my education, and this is the one area that I am passionate about.
However, what can I do with a Masters in History other than teach? I would likely have to take out loans to do this, in addition to the stress it will place on me with several young children.
Am I completely insane to do this if it won't yield any good career options?

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:21 pm
Question 1.

Are you in this for the love of history, or for the kavod of earning a master's in the field?

Question 2. Would you be interested in a related job, where a MA level education means something?
https://www.quora.com/What-is-.....story

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:31 pm
There's very little point in spending all that money on a master's degree just for the prestige. Also, you really want to do that with several little kids?

Why history? Is it that big of an interest for you? Or is it just something you're good at and you figure that the master's won't be that hard?

I'd hold off on getting a master's for the sake of education. Find a career you're interested in and get the master's in that field if it requires one.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:44 pm
I regret my masters and don't use it. I am not alone. If you're excited about the career to which your masters will lead, that's the first step.

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:45 pm
If it's the intellectual pursuit and knowledge you want. There are many free college courses online. You might satiate your thirst that way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics