Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Ideas please.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:46 pm
First time homeschooling. Please provide ideas and links. Homeschooling groups. How do I register legally to NYED. I called them , no one answered the call, so I believe I need to send email instead. Any piano teachers and dance classes please recommend in Brooklyn. Thankyou.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First time homeschooling. Please provide ideas and links. Homeschooling groups. How do I register legally to NYED. I called them , no one answered the call, so I believe I need to send email instead. Any piano teachers and dance classes please recommend in Brooklyn. Thankyou.

All the rules and regulations. Very, very clear.
https://jhinfo.org/
If you are on Facebook, there is also a frum facebook group.
Melamed Academy is really good.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:57 pm
For girls, tambourine in crown heights
https://www.tambourinesacademy.com/

forgetit

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:57 pm
https://jewishperformingarts.com/
Brooklyn Jewish Dance Institute <bklynjewishdance>

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:12 am
forgetit wrote:
https://jewishperformingarts.com/
Brooklyn Jewish Dance Institute <bklynjewishdance>

Thankyou everyone such great ideas. This one is 5 min from my house I didn’t even know anything about it.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:25 am
before you considor homeschooling do a survey how many people would allow their children to meet , date and marry a homeschooled child.
to me that's a red flag I would run like hell from. the homeschooled children in our community are so lacking in terms of appropriate relationships, social cues, friendships etc.

I would choose eczema over destroying your childrens opportunities in a real school setting.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:26 am
Lots of great info here: https://jewishhomeschool.wixsite.com/ntjoh

ETA, I know some incredible, balanced homeschooling families. The kids who wanted to go to traditional high school did so and blended in perfectly, no issues whatsoever. I also know many socially challenged children who were never homeschooled a day in their lives.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:28 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
before you considor homeschooling do a survey how many people would allow their children to meet , date and marry a homeschooled child.
to me that's a red flag I would run like hell from. the homeschooled children in our community are so lacking in terms of appropriate relationships, social cues, friendships etc.

I would choose eczema over destroying your childrens opportunities in a real school setting.

I wouldn't want my kids to marry yours whether I homeschooled or not (which I dont). My son had eczema over 75% of his body. It was a horror. Your comment was rude and insensitive.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:44 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

I've seen a couple of homeschooled children be socially awkward but many have no problem mainstreaming and making friends once they join a regular school (speaking as a teacher).

I don't know anyone in my circles that fully homeschooled (for secular subjects, mostly) but why is it a red flag for shidduchim??

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:50 am
groisamomma wrote:
I've seen a couple of homeschooled children be socially awkward but many have no problem mainstreaming and making friends once they join a regular school (speaking as a teacher).

I don't know anyone in my circles that fully homeschooled (for secular subjects, mostly) but why is it a red flag for shidduchim??

It means they are probably anti vaxxers.

giselle

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:52 am
groisamomma wrote:

I wouldn’t call it a red flag, but it’s usually a certain type of family that homeschools and that may not be the right match for a lot of people.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:53 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

Not the people I know. They do it because they feel it provides a better, more personalized and well-rounded education. (Their kids are all amazing.)

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:53 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

I hope you're kidding...

ETA, you mean because their kids were kicked out of school for not vaccinating? I misunderstood.

trixx

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 1:52 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

We've already had that discussion here lol. Consensus is that someone like op wouldn't want to marry someone like you so we're all good.
Also, eczema? Really? Have you had it, or any other autoimmune disorder for that matter?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:22 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

What an awfully rude comment, you should work on your middot.

You never know why someone may homeschool. It could be the children are gifted, it could be there are no Jewish schools in the area, so many different reasons. Maybe the parents hashkafa is different than the schools that are available.

There are plenty of children lacking in terms of appropriate behavior in regular school settings, just ask any teacher!

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:29 am
OP, there's a Facebook group called Hip Homeschool Moms. It's not Jewish, but it's a great, positive resource for any and all homeschooling ideas.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:57 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Smile I live in Baltimore, and we have been homeschooling for about 8 years now. We are part of a relatively large frum homeschooling community, with co-ops, whatsapp groups, etc etc. My children are busy full-time with all of their programs and classes.

Because homeschooling has become so popular in Baltimore and more or less everyone knows someone who homeschools, I believe it is viewed in a more favorable light, more as a concierge style education and less as a socially reclusive choice.

It’s presumptuous to assume that people homeschool to avoid “eczema”; are you implying that homeschoolers are definitely people who are declining/delaying/selectively vaccinating? Pretty narrow minded. Where I live, homeschooling has been around well before schools cared about vaccines, and people homeschool for dozens of reasons. I know many, many homeschoolers who vaccinate their children. Some are doctors and nurses, who vaccinate not only their own children, but other people’s children as well.

Some choose the homeschool life so their children can get a customized education, some have children with dyslexia or other learning differences and are better served a tailored education, some are homeschooling for just a year to detox from a negative school experience, some parents were homeschooled as children and now want to give their own children the same opportunities. Etc., etc.

Homeschooling can be an amazing experience. We’ve done conventional school and now this, and my children never want to go back to regular schools.

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 3:11 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Smile I live in Baltimore, and we have been homeschooling for about 8 years now. We are part of a relatively large frum homeschooling community, with co-ops, whatsapp groups, etc etc. My children are busy full-time with all of their programs and classes.

Because homeschooling has become so popular in Baltimore and more or less everyone knows someone who homeschools, I believe it is viewed in a more favorable light, more as a concierge style education and less as a socially reclusive choice.

It’s presumptuous to assume that people homeschool to avoid “eczema”; are you implying that homeschoolers are definitely people who are declining/delaying/selectively vaccinating? Pretty narrow minded. Where I live, homeschooling has been around well before schools cared about vaccines, and people homeschool for dozens of reasons. I know many, many homeschoolers who vaccinate their children. Some are doctors and nurses, who vaccinate not only their own children, but other people’s children as well.

Some choose the homeschool life so their children can get a customized education, some have children with dyslexia or other learning differences and are better served a tailored education, some are homeschooling for just a year to detox from a negative school experience, some parents were homeschooled as children and now want to give their own children the same opportunities. Etc., etc.

Homeschooling can be an amazing experience. We’ve done conventional school and now this, and my children never want to go back to regular schools.

Would you please PM me? I have many questions.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 3:29 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I wouldn't want my kids to marry yours whether I homeschooled or not (which I dont). My son had eczema over 75% of his body. It was a horror. Your comment was rude and insensitive.

coming from a mom that dealt with severe eczema with two children. nothing insensitive but seen and heard the painful childs perspective of being homeschooled.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:05 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

Do you homeschool boys? What about learning mishnayos/gemorrah?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling