Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Does shechita matter for chicken?

azoygeshmak

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 3:28 pm
I am embarrassed that I don't know the answer to this:

I know glatt only applies to red meat. But I have never understood whether those who are makpid to eat only their own community's shechita - or chassidishe/Beit Yosef/etc. - are also makpid on this for chicken.

I assume the answer is yes because a knife is involved, and a lot of discussions of shechita revolve around the knife. Is that correct?
Is anyone who is makpid on shechita more lenient with chicken than with other meats??

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 3:34 pm
I know that Lubavitch is just as makpid with chicken as with meat.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 3:40 pm
I know people who only eat Bet Yosef meat but will eat chicken from others. And people who only eat Belz meat but will eat other chassidish hechsher for chicken.

small bean

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 3:44 pm
I just wanna say dont feel embarrassed because I dont know anything about shechita either or hechshairem.

esuss

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 3:45 pm
Glatt kosher it is technically when the lungs of a cow are free of certain defects. Therefore only beef could be truly Glatt kosher. But chickens are schechted/slaughtered also with a knife and the salted soaked and rinsed like red meat is.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 3:45 pm
OU isn't considered kosher enough in my circles. But the interesting thing is that a company with a heimeshe hechsher sells the same chickens with the same process and it is acceptable. The same owner owns both.

I don't understand the politics of kashrus and that some products with only OU supervisioncan use a heimeshe label. But I do understand my medical needs. Empire and the heimish hechsher both triple soak their chickens and they are the ones with the lowest sodium. You can't get Empire in the Jewish stores where I live, but you can get the other brand. I rather go to a national supermarket and pay significantly less for the same thing.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:03 pm
cnc wrote:
I know that Lubavitch is just as makpid with chicken as with meat.

I think they do check the lungs for chickens as well. But Lubavitch is mapkid on chasidishe shechita, the knife, as well as the salting process - splitback is where they cut the back of the breast open so that the salt can get into the entire cavity, whereas many other hechsherim dont do that extra cut and just throw the salt in.

rakcna

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 4:10 pm
Just wanted to add that Beis Yosef is not in the same category as which hashgacha. It refers to stringencies in the shechita process, and for this reason, items that are beis Yosef can be found in a wide range of hashgachas.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:15 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
I think they do check the lungs for chickens as well. But Lubavitch is mapkid on chasidishe shechita, the knife, as well as the salting process - splitback is where they cut the back of the breast open so that the salt can get into the entire cavity, whereas many other hechsherim dont do that extra cut and just throw the salt in.

Chicken lungs are not checked. Nor is all Lubavitch makpid on the chicken being split before salting. Most are not split, Though it can be special requested and done.
And chickens that are not split are as fully coated in salt as split chickens are. Those who are makpid on splitting before kashering are being extra makpid, but it doesn't make the whole chickens any less kosher because of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions