Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
The bamboo cradle

lucky

Post Thu, Jul 07 2005, 10:28 am
At a party I attended last night, The speaker was devora, she told the story of her life. I read the book recently, I was very impressed. Anyone else ever heard her speak? Smile

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Jul 07 2005, 12:19 pm
yes, I heard her twice, once when I was in elemantary school ( her adoptive father came with her and spoke too) and then a while later when I was working in philly. she is inspirational.

Post Thu, Jul 07 2005, 12:52 pm
I know Devorah very well. she's good friends with my sister. I sat at a table with her at a wedding a few months ago and she was telling us all these funny stories that have happened to her.
Like, she goes to the kosher grocery store and people stop and ask her why she prefers to buy kosher food. She's very special and so normal!!

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Jul 07 2005, 1:29 pm
and what about all her shiduchim stories..someone once suggested for her this old guy in a wheelchair

smile

Post Thu, Jul 07 2005, 4:21 pm
I only once was reading her book but I loved it. Very Happy

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Jul 09 2005, 11:23 pm
yes, I heard her, but several years back. There was an interview with her in the Mishpocha a few weeks ago. Doesn't she live in Baltimore now? Don't people see by her dress that she's frum??
Living in Brooklyn, once in a while you notice someone has non-jewish features, but dresses frum....so why would someone ask them why they prefer kosher???
I know someone (not in Brooklyn) - a frum woman who's from the Philapeans, and she has an Oriental look. I wonder what people ask/think of her...her kids are absolutely the cutest!

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 3:10 am
Quote:
Living in Brooklyn, once in a while you notice someone has non-jewish features, but dresses frum....so why would someone ask them why they prefer kosher???

I've been asked that more then once and yes my garb is nonething like theirs Exclamation but they see your face and expect you to have horns or something Rolling Eyes my husband was even asked it in my presence one time, what chutzpah Exploding anger
Oh and conc this Devorah is she from Austrailia and does she sing too? I'll tell u why after you answer me Wink

queen

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 10:59 am
brachad wrote:
There was an interview with her in the Mishpocha a few weeks ago.

There was an interview with her in the magazine section of HaModia about a month or so ago..... was very interesting to read.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 11:02 am
Freilich - I think you're thinking of Devorah Hasofer the singer... no relation at all to the bamboo cradle devorah.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 11:45 am
And come to think of it she doesn't look anything chinese, oh well can't say I didn't try lol.

stem

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 12:33 pm
Hey, did anyone every think of the possibility that maybe she's a member of imamother?

lucky

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 4:03 pm
Yes, I thought about it. Can never know.

miriam

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 9:04 pm
My sister-in-law's school put on a beautiful play based on the book. She played Devorah.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jul 10 2005, 9:29 pm
wouldn't that be interesting if she was a member? but if she was, I don't think there's anything offensive here.
btw, freilich, if you don't mind me asking, where are you from?

Aish

Post Fri, Jul 15 2005, 7:28 pm
freilich wrote:
Quote:

I've been asked that more then once and yes my garb is nonething like theirs :!: but they see your face and expect you to have horns or something :roll: my husband was even asked it in my presence one time, what chutzpah :evil:
Oh and conc this Devorah is she from Austrailia and does she sing too? I'll tell u why after you answer me :wink:

why would someone stop you and ask you that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics