Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Surgery in Europe
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 3:37 pm
Does anyone know of any details.
I’ve heard “ppl go to Belgium”
But no actual leads.

Also how did you decide which surgery is suitable for you?

Hope I get responses, I am desperate and have been saving up.
I now need to do the research and don’t know where to start!

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:08 pm
I don't understand. Are you talking about elective (cosmetic) surgery, or do you need a surgical operation for health reasons?

Why are you desperate to get surgery if you don't even know what you want/need?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone know of any details.
I’ve heard “ppl go to Belgium”
But no actual leads.

Also how did you decide which surgery is suitable for you?

Hope I get responses, I am desperate and have been saving up.
I now need to do the research and don’t know where to start!

There is a doctor here (soon going on pension so you need to hurry!) That does the gastric bypass. I think he takes around 5000€ (if you're not from Belgium you're not covered by insurance)

This is thé nr to call 03 217 77 70 you don't get to speak to him but to his secretary and she will explain further

This is the website https://www.zna.be/nl/artsen/hendrickx-l

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 4:54 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
There is a doctor here (soon going on pension so you need to hurry!) That does the gastric bypass. I think he takes around 5000€ (if you're not from Belgium you're not covered by insurance)

This is thé nr to call 03 217 77 70 you don't get to speak to him but to his secretary and she will explain further

Thank you for taking the time to give me all the details! Greatly appreciated x

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:05 pm
I was debating between the sleeve and the bypass. I went with the bypass and I couldn’t be happier. It’s a bigger surgery but ultimately more effective. I BH didn’t have any big side affects. I am six months out and I am down almost 95 lbs. I went with the bypass because my doctor thought it would be better for me because my issues were more hormonal than overeating. It’s a lot of hard work and not a cure in any way. It’s a tool that if used right, is an amazing thing.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 19 2019, 5:05 pm
DrMom wrote:
I don't understand. Are you talking about elective (cosmetic) surgery, or do you need a surgical operation for health reasons?

Why are you desperate to get surgery if you don't even know what you want/need?

LOL LOL LOL

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 4:21 am
Are you ready to pay? free is for locals who qualify, or emergency cv

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 7:10 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

yes dr hendrickx is the one people travel for to Belgium

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:30 am
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Ruchel we have saved up.
Although I still feel guilty using the money when we could use it for 17 other things.

But I have weighed 230lbs for several years now. I can’t live like this anymore. I haven’t been able to stick to any diet for a substantial amount of time.
I’ve tried intuitive, couldn’t stick to Keto as I got emotional cravings and shabbos messed me up.
I’ve really been struggling.

Please don’t judge! It’s difficult to even write this.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:47 am
Does one have to be a certain amount overweight ?
I'd like to do it but have 'only' 15- 20 kilo to lose

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 10:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Ruchel we have saved up.
Although I still feel guilty using the money when we could use it for 17 other things.

But I have weighed 230lbs for several years now. I can’t live like this anymore. I haven’t been able to stick to any diet for a substantial amount of time.
I’ve tried intuitive, couldn’t stick to Keto as I got emotional cravings and shabbos messed me up.
I’ve really been struggling.

Please don’t judge! It’s difficult to even write this.

No one can even guess how difficult it is until they’ve actually been there. I know. I weighed 286 lbs. at my highest point. Due to various health issues it was virtually impossible for me to lose the weight. I felt horrible about myself and didn’t have the energy to take care of my house, kids etc. I’m six months post gastric bypass and now weigh 193 lbs. I still want to lose another 40 lbs. I workout twice a day (morning and night) and I feel amazing. I hve energy to do things I’ve never done before. I can walk into regular stores and buy regular clothing. My wedding ring and engagement ring fit me again. It’s a brand new start, a new life. A chance to do over. And for me, it was the best thing I could’ve done for myself. Don’t feel guilty. You are taking steps to take care of YOU! And when you feel good, it extends to the rest of your household. You’re a better wife and mother. Go for it and don’t feel bad about it!!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 10:36 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Does one have to be a certain amount overweight ?
I'd like to do it but have 'only' 15- 20 kilo to lose

In the US I’m pretty sure the BMI has to be over 40

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 3:35 pm
What is so good about him that you travel all the way to Belgium?
Anyone here used him recently?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 3:42 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
No one can even guess how difficult it is until they’ve actually been there. I know. I weighed 286 lbs. at my highest point. Due to various health issues it was virtually impossible for me to lose the weight. I felt horrible about myself and didn’t have the energy to take care of my house, kids etc. I’m six months post gastric bypass and now weigh 193 lbs. I still want to lose another 40 lbs. I workout twice a day (morning and night) and I feel amazing. I hve energy to do things I’ve never done before. I can walk into regular stores and buy regular clothing. My wedding ring and engagement ring fit me again. It’s a brand new start, a new life. A chance to do over. And for me, it was the best thing I could’ve done for myself. Don’t feel guilty. You are taking steps to take care of YOU! And when you feel good, it extends to the rest of your household. You’re a better wife and mother. Go for it and don’t feel bad about it!!

Well done that's amazing, you should be super proud of yourself

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 3:46 pm
Seashell I was reading through other threads about others experiences.
One person wrote how she can’t eat out or participate in simchas, it’s a struggle to have a piece of challa on shabbos, she doesn’t have a regular life, she feels a sense of loss related to a part of life she no longer gets joy from.

What’s your experience?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 3:48 pm
In the US I’m pretty sure the BMI has to be over 40

For the insurance to cover it. Many doctors will do it for less than the insurance guidelines if you are self paying

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seashell I was reading through other threads about others experiences.
One person wrote how she can’t eat out or participate in simchas, it’s a struggle to have a piece of challa on shabbos, she doesn’t have a regular life, she feels a sense of loss related to a part of life she no longer gets joy from.

What’s your experience?

Of course life is different than it was before when it comes to food choices. I don’t eat challah because I don’t want to. I don’t feel good after I eat it. I could eat a whole board of matzah no problem. Simchas are fine for me. Obviously I’ll pick and choose what I want. I don’t have the capacity in my stomach to eat a full Simcha meal. Someone I know said that now she’s a “taster” - she eats everything but only a little taste of each thing. That’s a pretty accurate description of how it is afterwards. But I can honestly say I don’t feel deprived in the slightest. This is my lifestyle. I don’t miss the way I used to eat and I never want to look that way again.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 4:17 pm
Of course life is different than it was before when it comes to food choices. I don’t eat challah because I don’t want to. I don’t feel good after I eat it. I could eat a whole board of matzah no problem. Simchas are fine for me. Obviously I’ll pick and choose what I want. I don’t have the capacity in my stomach to eat a full Simcha meal. Someone I know said that now she’s a “taster” - she eats everything but only a little taste of each thing. That’s a pretty accurate description of how it is afterwards. But I can honestly say I don’t feel deprived in the slightest. This is my lifestyle. I don’t miss the way I used to eat and I never want to look that way again.

That sounds ideal.
I hope I can achieve the same healthy mindset.
You must be very proud of yourself!
Well done!

DVOM

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 4:55 pm
I lost over 100lbs about 7 years ago and have kept it off ever since, without surgery. I know what it feels like to be almost 300lbs, the shame, the disgust of others, the exhaustion of normal everyday activities. If you would like to hear about another option, I'd be happy to PM.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 6:21 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
What is so good about him that you travel all the way to Belgium?
Anyone here used him recently?

He is THE doctor for bariatric surgery in Belgium and England. It is far cheaper to have it done in Belgium if you have to pay out of pocket as in the US it’s very expensive. It’s €6000 for the sleeve and €7500 for the bypass. Dr. Leo Hendricks is an amazing surgeon with a great bedside manner. He’ll meet you and based on your weight and eating habits he’ll recommend what surgery he believes is the right l one for you. I had the sleeve 6 months ago. best decision of my life, I have started living again.
He’s going on pension soon but I heard he’ll continue operating privately.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise