Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What exactly is Jewish "Customary dress"?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 8:59 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I should maybe start a spinoff.
So I was taught that Herzl took Lashon Hakodesh and decided to twist it around and make it into an official language of the new State of Israel. So yes, obviously it's the same language, but modern Hebrew is the result of taking the original holy language and twisting it into something quite different.

Even today, when I no longer hold many of the beliefs I was taught, I'm still confused about this part.

Herzl didn't do any of those things.

If you are looking into the history of Modern Hebrew - look at Ben-Yehuda.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 9:13 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Herzl didn't do any of those things.

If you are looking into the history of Modern Hebrew - look at Ben-Yehuda.

Thanks.
Is there a book or any other recommendation where to start?

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 9:42 am
Thanks.

I think this wiki article is well sourced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....guage

(there were Hebrew language newspapers pre-dating Ben-Yehuda's modernization efforts.

https://www.haaretz.com/jewish.....05308 )

Ruchel

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 1:57 pm
Not Herzl. But yes modern H is a mix of various Ashkenazi, Sefardic, and Judeo Arabic phonemas
In the end it is how no one prononces traditionally
Which per se doesn't bother me as long as it's not used to attack Ashkenazi pronounciation (and sometimes sefardi)

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 7:52 am
Hebrew has no bad words so you need Russian and Arabic for that.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:53 am
Thanks.

Ilan Stavans, Resurrecting Hebrew, is interesting.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:21 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Is it really a great percentage? Years ago there were some stories of a few incidents that happened between the residents of RBS-A and RBS-B but that was maybe a decade ago. Since then it has been live and let live.

There are signs in front of Town Square and Shoppers Haven requesting that the public respect our standards of modesty but they don't go out of their way to ridicule someone who doesn't keep them.

What someone thinks when they see a woman in her late 30's in a mini-skirt due to latent adolescent rebellion is anybody's guess but we are not privy into the thoughts of others unless they express it openly.

RW and MO don't dress alike and don't want to dress alike but I don't see many people fixated on that.
Not exactly, but maybe things havent made their way to main stream news in america. Things have definitely happened in the last decade in bs/rbs.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:25 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
An "enlightened" non-religious Jew once mocked a Chossid asking, "Did Avrohom Avinu wear a shtreimel? Did Avrohom Avinu wear a Kapote?"

The Chossid answered:

"I don't know what Avrohom Avinu wore. But Avrohom Avinu looked what the gentiles are wearing and wore something DIFFERENT."
Not very likely at all. Avraham aveinu probably was dressed in exactly the same way that every other male was dressed back then, long robes and possibly some sort of sandals.
Im not sure why you would think otherwise.

iyar

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:26 pm
keym wrote:
What always cracks me up is the books and coloring books that have the avos wearing the full Chassidish levush or a down hat.
I don't know how they dressed, but it was definitely not in a shtreimel or Borsalino.

Those coloring books made me laugh too.
And I’m not trying to start anything but the Avos all wore full chassidish levush.
The Borsalino’s were on the eirev rav.
Go back and study your coloring books keym.

iyar

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:31 pm
I should maybe start a spinoff.
So I was taught that Herzl took Lashon Hakodesh and decided to twist it around and make it into an official language of the new State of Israel. So yes, obviously it's the same language, but modern Hebrew is the result of taking the original holy language and twisting it into something quite different.

Even today, when I no longer hold many of the beliefs I was taught, I'm still confused about this part.

Someone really taught you that?
No kidding.
I’m aware there’s this school of thought that bearded Zeide Theodore (Herzl) is the root of all evil.
You’re giving him way too much credit though.
Modern Hebrew has very little to do with him.

soap suds

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:45 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Yeah, but there's something distasteful about dressing up like an antisemite and then saying that anyone dressed otherwise isn't keeping the mesorah.

Who says that?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics