Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Creamed Spinach

DF79

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 1:34 pm
Anyone have a good creamed spinach or other creamed vegi recipe? I'm looking for something to serve with salmon or steaks...

Thanks

sarahd

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 1:38 pm
Take your frozen chopped spinach, place in pan and add salt and crushed fresh garlic or garlic powder plus a little water. Cook for about five minutes after the spinach defrosts. Then take some milk and dissolve flour into it, stir into the spinach and cook a few minutes more. If you want this to be really good, stir in some sour cream right before serving.

Obviously, this will not go for steaks. I have been given to understand that you can also "cream" the spinach with mayonnaise. I tried it once and it tasted awful, but maybe others have had better experiences.

cookielady

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 1:44 pm
I cook frozen chopped spincah and drain well. then in sep pot I make a basic white sauce (can be done with soy milk or non dairy creamer for a meat meal) Season, stir until thick, then mix in spinach. it's delicious! (even my kids love it.)

DF79

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 1:47 pm
Can I get your white sauce recipe? Sounds good!

cookielady

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 1:51 pm
melt 2 T of marg. or olive oil in a small pot, stir in 2 T of flour. Then slowly over a low heat gradually mixin 1 1/2 cups milk or equivlent, stir until thickened, over low heat. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, or whatever is your taste. In a spinach dish a touch of nutmeg is also tasty.

I use this basic sauce for many things, like mushroom sauce or cheese sauce.

Enjoy!

stem

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 9:38 pm
1 frozen box of spinach, defrosted (10 oz.)
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup flavored breadcrumbs
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder

Mix well and cook on very low flame for a long time - 2-3 hours, stirring frequently to keep from burning on the bottom. The longer you cook, the creamier it gets. It's one of my family's favorites!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes