Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Someone please give me advice. I’m loosing my mind
Previous  1  2

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 5:30 am
Don’t stop formula cold turkey! Start with diluting it with a little bit of whole milk first. An ounce of milk for a few days.. then 2 ounces... eventually half and half. If you already tried giving a bottle of all milk he’s probably not sure if he can trust his bottles anymore. Go out a buy more formula ASAP! So unfair to just take it away from one day to the next. ( not because he’ll starve but because it’s a comfort for him)

taby

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 5:40 am
Number one it’s most important you calm down because a child picks up anxiety and it’s more detrimental to them then getting formula. Maybe he is becoming anxious because he sees you are.

Secondly the formulas have all the necessary nutrients in it for the child and giving the toddler one is perfectly fine. The milk nowadays are not so healthy either many people are not tolerant to them. They are not pure at all!

You sound like a very caring mum kudos to you keep calm and let it take the time it needs. If is very important to you, take it gradually buy one more bottle and do it slowly.

Good luck

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 5:52 am
BABIES DON'T NEED MILK

tf

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 7:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here: Thank you everyone for your responses. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, I can’t stop having these severe anxiety attacks about this. I’m trying my hardest to do the best and what’s “right” for him! and I feel like a failure that he doesn’t want to drink milk, bc all my mind is telling me is that I’m a horrible mother bc now he won’t get his proper nutrients that he needs from the milk.

First thing first: you're not a horrible mother for trying hard to be and do the best.
2- transition is a process. Nobody likes to go from point A to point B cold Turkey. Do it slowly. Find what works and what doesn't. Go with what works.
3- if he's eating dairy products he is already getting what he needs in different ways. Nothing to stress out about.
4- nobody got hurt by eliminating milk from the diet. So if it takes longer than you'd like, big deal. He can get calcium from different foods. Temporarily for sure.
Most importantly- don't belittle yourself over this. Children have been much more picky and nothing happened to them or their parents.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP AGAIN- Thank you everyone! I’m starting to feel a little more relieved by hearing everyone’s advice and tips. My baby Bh eats 3 full meals a day, healthy ones too! And healthy snacks in between. One of my main worries is that in the morning when he wakes up, we usually give him a bottle of formula at 7 am, then breakfast at 8:30, so what would I replace the 7 am with if he keeps refusing milk?

Also, maybe Could be he’s teething bc tonight he refused his formula in a bottle before bed! The last few nights he only took 4.5 oz instead of 8, and tonight was ZERO.

He eats dinner at 5:30, and we do bottle usually at 7. ( I had the last of my formula which was enough for one last bottle, and he even refused that)

Now my super anxious personality is going to worry that I starved my baby to sleep bc he last ate at 5:30 and he usually wakes up at 7 am bh, so now he didn’t have that last “meal”

I’m sorry if I sound ignorant and stupid to some of you on here. It’s my first baby and I’m not close with my mother at all and I don’t have sisters so I don’t really have an outlet of people I can get advice from.

Also, took me a few years to have my precious son, so I just want to make sure I’m doing okay and he won’t be malnourished

Sounds like maybe he had a growth spurt and isn't hungry between dinner and bed because his tummy can hold more food now! Don't worry, if you were starving him he'd tell you Wink

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 9:39 am
I'm no nutritionist but if he's a good eater in general then I wouldn't worry about formula OR milk. Milk is nice but not vital. Especially since he's eating other dairy and sources of vitamins. Formula is necessary for kids who aren't yet eating a full food diet because it gives nourishment and nutrients but it sounds like your kid is getting that from food.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 3:53 pm
OP AGAIN- Thank you to EVERYONE! I must have read everyone’s opinions and advice 3x! 🙈 I really appreciate it. I know I’m just a face behind to the screen to everyone, but it’s nice to know I can come here for advice, vent, or anything; it actually relives some of my anxiousness.

The last thing I want is my baby to feel my anxiety, to the poster who told me about that, thank you. I usually have it under control when he’s around me, but I guess the last few days with the whole milk thing got to the best of me which made me nervous around him, but I’m going to just try and let it be.

Last night, when he refused the milk: and I tried it in every sippy cup and his bottle; he slept the night BHH like he always does, so I guess he was full from
his supper at 5:30 which was: steamed broccoli, grilled chicken and some oranges.

This morning, I caved and gave him the very last serving of formula I had, but instead of it being room temperature how he likes it, I gave it to him cold ( just to get him used to it bc milk would be cold) and he drank it right away.

Tonight, I will try again.

My last question, if after some time he still refuses milk, how much of yogurts/cheeses/etc should I give him for it to qualify as milk servings?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 4:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP AGAIN- Thank you to EVERYONE! I must have read everyone’s opinions and advice 3x! 🙈 I really appreciate it. I know I’m just a face behind to the screen to everyone, but it’s nice to know I can come here for advice, vent, or anything; it actually relives some of my anxiousness.

The last thing I want is my baby to feel my anxiety, to the poster who told me about that, thank you. I usually have it under control when he’s around me, but I guess the last few days with the whole milk thing got to the best of me which made me nervous around him, but I’m going to just try and let it be.

Last night, when he refused the milk: and I tried it in every sippy cup and his bottle; he slept the night BHH like he always does, so I guess he was full from
his supper at 5:30 which was: steamed broccoli, grilled chicken and some oranges.

This morning, I caved and gave him the very last serving of formula I had, but instead of it being room temperature how he likes it, I gave it to him cold ( just to get him used to it bc milk would be cold) and he drank it right away.

Tonight, I will try again.

My last question, if after some time he still refuses milk, how much of yogurts/cheeses/etc should I give him for it to qualify as milk servings?

So we learned some things with my little (now big, B"H!) milk refuser. The steamed broccoli you gave him is a better source of calcium than milk (partly because it's more easily absorbed into the system, not just the content). Sunshine is a better source of vitamin D than milk. Techina and olive oil are healthier fats than milk.

You gave your son a gorgeous, healthy dinner. Btw, oranges contain calcium. Not like milk or broccoli, but still. He's clearly getting a balanced diet and you love him to pieces. I also obsessed over this stuff with my first (the milk hater!). It's okay. Enjoy him and let him enjoy you. Keep doing what you're doing. It's great!

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 4:22 pm
I never stopped offering warm bottles... I diluted slowly. When I was down to all milk (after a couple of months) I still warmed the bottle a little just for comfort- especially before bedtime.
There is really no right and wrong as long as your baby is getting proper nutrition and care. Just make baby feel safe and loved...

myname1

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 3:34 am
If you want your son to drink the milk, you for sure can warm up the bottle. When I needed to stop nursing and start my 6 month old on formula, I had no clue you need to make it warm! She wouldn't touch it and as soon as someone mentioned the warming up part, she was fine with it. When we switched her to milk, I warmed it up by pouring hot water in a negel vasser cup and putting the baby bottle with milk inside for a couple of minutes. Just be sure it's not too hot before giving to the baby! I shook it to make sure it was all the same temperature, then poured a few drops on my inner wrist- a sensitive spot like a baby's mouth. If it feels warm but not too hot, it's perfect.

You don't need to push milk, as others have said, but if it's comforting for him and nice for your routine, you can give warming it up a try.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 5:10 am
myname1 wrote:
If you want your son to drink the milk, you for sure can warm up the bottle. When I needed to stop nursing and start my 6 month old on formula, I had no clue you need to make it warm! She wouldn't touch it and as soon as someone mentioned the warming up part, she was fine with it. When we switched her to milk, I warmed it up by pouring hot water in a negel vasser cup and putting the baby bottle with milk inside for a couple of minutes. Just be sure it's not too hot before giving to the baby! I shook it to make sure it was all the same temperature, then poured a few drops on my inner wrist- a sensitive spot like a baby's mouth. If it feels warm but not too hot, it's perfect.

You don't need to push milk, as others have said, but if it's comforting for him and nice for your routine, you can give warming it up a try.

OP- thanks! When we were doing formula, we gave them to him at room temperature and he was totosllt fine with it. The other day, when I gave him the very last helping of formula, I actually made it cold to see if he would drink it, and he drank it all. Last night, I offered him milk again, and he drank almost an oz of cold milk! I’m debating if I should resort back and buy another can of formula and mixing it with milk, or if I should just continue offering the milk, and BH he will get used to it in a few days 🤷‍♀️

bluebaker

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi ladies,
Was wondering if someone can give me advice. I’m a. FTM, so please don’t judge me

My baby will BH be 1 next week, and we just ran out of formula, I have enough for tonight and that’s it. I don’t feel like buying more bc I have to transition him to milk anyways. I tried today, and I had ZERO luck

He’s fighting me like crazy! I feel so bad, I told my husband to pick up some more formula for backup on the wya home from work, but any tips or advice how to get him to drink milk?!

He loves cheese, plain yogurt, and all other dairy things and Bh he’s an excellent eater

What does FTM mean?
I'm not judging you. It's a known factoid that dairy, unless it's maternally derived or raw, is basically **** food.
https://drhyman.com/blog/2010/.....ts-2/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:49 am
bluebaker wrote:
What does FTM mean?
I'm not judging you. It's a known factoid that dairy, unless it's maternally derived or raw, is basically **** food.
https://drhyman.com/blog/2010/.....ts-2/

FTM- First Time Mom

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:00 am
OP, stop trying to get him to drink milk and let him still have warm formula. I don't know why you're eating yourslef up over this, my babies, as others said, never drank milk. It's ok. Seems like he's getting plenty nutrition from the healthy meals you're serving him. He might not need anything from dinner till the morning. But the main thing is that this shouldn't be making you so anxious! This is no reason for stress.

momwifedaughter

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:08 am
I never give my kids dairy as a baby.. I specifically avoid it. It causes them to be congested plus ear infections.

I give them formula upto any age they want it... No big deal... I like to put them into bed knowingly they have a backup meal in bed in case supper wasn't good enough. Or breakfast doesnt have to be served right away... I happen to like the formula part of that..

When I do give milk, I put hot water into it so it should be warm. No time to put it into cup to warm. Work around your schedule and take it easy. No ones dying from hunger these days bh.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:12 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
OP, stop trying to get him to drink milk and let him still have warm formula. I don't know why you're eating yourslef up over this, my babies, as others said, never drank milk. It's ok. Seems like he's getting plenty nutrition from the healthy meals you're serving him. He might not need anything from dinner till the morning. But the main thing is that this shouldn't be making you so anxious! This is no reason for stress.

OP- I guess you’re right. I’m just a new mother and want to do what’s right, I’m sorry I sound like an idiot. Usually he takes his formula room temperature. Maybe I’ll take your advice and bring back the formula. This morning when he woke up ( 7 am)I gave him a plain yobaby yogurt, and at 8:30 I gave him his breakfast..today was whole wheat blueberry pancakes and some oranges

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:39 am
Don’t focus on what he’s eating so much! He’s a baby... formula is fine for now, not when he’s 8 years old obviously. Introduce food when it’s convenient. Don’t make it such a big deal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:55 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Don’t focus on what he’s eating so much! He’s a baby... formula is fine for now, not when he’s 8 years old obviously. Introduce food when it’s convenient. Don’t make it such a big deal.

I did baby led weaning with him, and he did great! He’s eats anything and everything, except the milk lol 🙈

esther11

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:46 pm
I didn’t read through all the replies, but I just dealt with this with my 1 year old. We eventually found that when the milk was warmed for 30 sec in the microwave she was willing to drink it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics