Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
White wood lower cabinets in kitchen, yay or nay?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 12:54 pm
If you have little kids, did white wood cabinets work out or was it a big bother always being on top of cleaning them and did they get damaged easily?

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 1:49 pm
I’d di white in too and a cool color- a pretty grey, a navy, a mint green ect on the bottom.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 1:58 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I’d di white in too and a cool color- a pretty grey, a navy, a mint green ect on the bottom.

that's what we picked out originally but my husbands loves a really dark granite counter so I feel like dark bottoms would make the kitchen look too dark.

ellacoe

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:00 pm
Make sure that they are made out of something that is resilient. White wood on its on without any treatment may get very scuffed and nicked and not last very long.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:01 pm
ellacoe wrote:
Make sure that they are made out of something that is resilient. White wood on its on without any treatment may get very scuffed and nicked and not last very long.

what kind of treatment?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:03 pm
I have little kids and love my white cabinets (3 years in). I'd never do two different cabinet colors because I like clean, minimal contrast.
The cabinets clean really easily and don't get dirty anyway.

ellacoe

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
what kind of treatment?

They have different kinds of laminates etc. I don't know the exact names etc. but your kitchen person should know. But I do know from experience. I have white wooden cabinet doors in my kitchen and my bathroom and they look a wreck. The paint gets chipped, and they get nicked. I would never do it again. (I didn't do it the first time. It was here and brand new when I moved in. So I kept it)

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:42 pm
I recently did a kitchen with white uppers and dark stained wood base cabinets (yes, I am a residential and kitchen designer professionally). It's really more practical, especially for a family with young children. The counters are a white-ish quartzite. The kitchen isn't finished yet, so I haven't taken pics.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:55 pm
OP wrote:
So basically I would have to find a new countertop in that case, right? It would look wrong/dark to have nearly black counters and dark grey lower cabinets?

Rubber Ducky wrote:
I recently did a kitchen with white uppers and dark stained wood base cabinets (yes, I am a residential and kitchen designer professionally). It's really more practical, especially for a family with young children. The counters are a white-ish quartzite. The kitchen isn't finished yet, so I haven't taken pics.

I think you could pull it together with the right backsplash.

edited to correct formatting error

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:56 pm
ellacoe wrote:
They have different kinds of laminates etc. I don't know the exact names etc. but your kitchen person should know. But I do know from experience. I have white wooden cabinet doors in my kitchen and my bathroom and they look a wreck. The paint gets chipped, and they get nicked. I would never do it again. (I didn't do it the first time. It was here and brand new when I moved in. So I kept it)

Thanks, this is definitely something I need to consider then.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:56 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I have little kids and love my white cabinets (3 years in). I'd never do two different cabinet colors because I like clean, minimal contrast.
The cabinets clean really easily and don't get dirty anyway.

What material did you use for the white cabinet? wood?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:57 pm
Have had white for years without dirt being a major issue. Would recommend matte finish rather than glossy as fingerprints show too much on mine.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 3:08 pm
While I love the look of my white kitchen, my lower cabinets are pretty banged up after 10 years. The kids knock toys into it etc, there are def some scratches and dings in the wood. The toekick is the worst, it looks terrible. Not sure I would do it again.

tweety1

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:47 pm
I have white but formica. I love love love it. Little kids big kids. I'd do it again.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 5:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
that's what we picked out originally but my husbands loves a really dark granite counter so I feel like dark bottoms would make the kitchen look too dark.

Make sure you have really good lighting. Overhead lights as well as lights under the cabinets. That's much more important to the function of the kitchen.

I have medium stained white oak cabinets with Black Galaxy granite and a copper farmhouse sink. My kitchen doesn't get much natural light so I use the lights even during the day. I don't think my kitchen looks dark - I think it looks warm Very Happy .

tweety1

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 8:40 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Make sure you have really good lighting. Overhead lights as well as lights under the cabinets. That's much more important to the function of the kitchen.

I have medium stained white oak cabinets with Black Galaxy granite and a copper farmhouse sink. My kitchen doesn't get much natural light so I use the lights even during the day. I don't think my kitchen looks dark - I think it looks warm Very Happy .

This! Lighting is crucial. My kitchen isn't huge. But I have great natural lighting. My actual lighting is also fantastic. This plus my white kitchen gives my kitchen a gorgeous spacious look.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics