Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Milk sensitivity

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:16 pm
so my baby testing as level 1 for about 5 items, one of which was milk. hes fine when I give him milk products such as cheese and yogart, but I notice that when I give him milk, his face breaks out. my dr said to keep giving it, as it is not a real allergy, but im wondering what you imamothers say. avoid or give? hes about 13 months, gave it 3 times in the last month or so

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 11:21 pm
Which doctor said to keep giving it? The allergist? I would get a second opinion from another allergist. If it wasn't an allergist please see one. I certainly would not give my child any food that causes an uncomfortable reaction, whether or not there's an allergy (why is level one not considered an allergy anyway?).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:11 am
he said that level one is basically nothing, and the truth is that the other foods that showed up have no reaction

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
he said that level one is basically nothing, and the truth is that the other foods that showed up have no reaction

Ok, but when you give those foods there is a reaction. So that's not nothing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 9:17 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Ok, but when you give those foods there is a reaction. So that's not nothing.

right, but im wondering if its something that he will get used to, or I should stop giving it entirely.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:03 am
My son had a low allergy to milk. We cut it out completely for 6 weeks and then reintroduced it slowly over the next 6 weeks following a dieticians plan. His symptoms disappeared. I was told we were trying to reset his gut and for him it worked.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:06 am
Keep giving it is the right advice in the allergy world today. Otherwise you run the risk of increasing the likelihood of this developing into a more severe and possibly life-threatening allergy.

(I'm a mother with a child who has an anaphylactic allergy to dairy.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:33 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
My son had a low allergy to milk. We cut it out completely for 6 weeks and then reintroduced it slowly over the next 6 weeks following a dieticians plan. His symptoms disappeared. I was told we were trying to reset his gut and for him it worked.

thank u, how old was your child?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:33 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Keep giving it is the right advice in the allergy world today. Otherwise you run the risk of increasing the likelihood of this developing into a more severe and possibly life-threatening allergy.

(I'm a mother with a child who has an anaphylactic allergy to dairy.)

thank u, thats what my dr is saying.. but its hard to give it when he breaks out..

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank u, thats what my dr is saying.. but its hard to give it when he breaks out..

Are you making sure it does not touch his face at all but goes straight into his mouth?

octopus

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:52 am
the best way to test an allergy is to actually ingest it. However, this can be scary. So many go for testing. Blood tests are notoriously inaccurate. Skin tests can be inaccurate too. Together, you can get a clearer picture. He can be having a skin reaction to the dairy touching his skin. Have him skin tested. See what the allergist says. The dr will probably say to continue giving in very small amounts every single day.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:08 pm
If he is getting dairy products and doing ok. What is the issue if he doesnt get milk per se? My child is only ok with limitied amounts of hard cheese. According to his Drs. its enough to prevent allergies from becoming worse.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
so my baby testing as level 1 for about 5 items, one of which was milk. hes fine when I give him milk products such as cheese and yogart, but I notice that when I give him milk, his face breaks out. my dr said to keep giving it, as it is not a real allergy, but im wondering what you imamothers say. avoid or give? hes about 13 months, gave it 3 times in the last month or so

I had this with my child. The reason he reacts to the milk and not the others is because the milk is the most pure of all the dairy products, I wouldn’t keep giving it to the child. I agree, get another opinion.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Are you making sure it does not touch his face at all but goes straight into his mouth?

I give him milk with a straw.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 1:07 pm
its interesting what a varied opinion I got to my question. doesnt shed much light to me on what to do.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 1:18 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
If he is getting dairy products and doing ok. What is the issue if he doesnt get milk per se? My child is only ok with limitied amounts of hard cheese. According to his Drs. its enough to prevent allergies from becoming worse.

This. You're still exposing him to milk, just not in the form that causes him discomfort.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
This. You're still exposing him to milk, just not in the form that causes him discomfort.

im trying to figure out the most likely way for him to outgrow the allergy/sensitivity

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 1:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
im trying to figure out the most likely way for him to outgrow the allergy/sensitivity

Get a second opinion from another allergist? I wouldn't rely on random women for medical decisions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics