Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Best option for pesach away when pregnant

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 3:25 am
-anonymous since friends may recognize me from these details-

OK, so due to medical reasons (I will be very pregnant bez"h, husband will be after surgery) we realized we need to go away for Pesach, I don't think we can manage with the logistics of Pesach at home. (even with hiring a cleaning crew and getting takeout, there is still dealing with serving the meals, watching the kids all week on our own, etc.). As it is this is a very difficult period, so trying to make Pesach as easy as possible.

I'm trying to find the easiest and most enjoyable Pesach option that's within our budget.Please help me figure out the best option, because none of them are perfect. After a lot of research, these are the most reasonably priced options. (It's still way more than we would ever spend usually, so I'm finding the whole planning thing stressful, because once spending all that money I really want it to be fun, like a spot of light in between all the medical stress)

We have 3 small (and very active!) kids , so one of the big factors is a kids program for them. We are located in Israel.

Option 1: Program abroad - 1 hour night flight. Downside: Need to deal with 2 late night flights with small kids, on days the airport is insanely crowded in Israel. Also will be abroad when pregnant, in case of needing medical care (Early 3rd trimester). Why yes: Amazing kids program, hotel is a resort with gorgeous grounds and lots to do there- kids world, beach etc. - resort has really good reviews. We would have a huge apartment/suite. We are also nervous because organizer is a so-so one (that's why price is in our budget) and worried things will go wrong.
[Edited to add that maybe this option the most risky/least practical, it just sounds the most exciting and something I could really look forward to and enjoy. Like a once-in-a-lifetime experience rather than just a most-practical-way-to-spend-Pesach]

Option 2: Hotel up north- simple hotel, very small heated pool, but does have supervised kids program (just not sure how good it will be, 2 high school girls will be watching the kids, and there aren't many activities) .We will be on same floor as dining room so everything should be close and accessible. Hotel room has separate small living room for the kids to sleep in. Not sure how we would get motzai chag, may need to pay to stay another night.

Option 3: Tzimmers -we will have our own pretty wood cabin, nicer facilities than the hotel (gymboree, kids pool with slides, bouncy castles) and also full board like a hotel- downside is no supervised kids program- will need to watch the kids the whole time, but hopefully they will enjoy the activities there. Same issue with not sure how we would get back motzai chag, and may need to pay to stay another night.

Option 4: Hotel in Jerusalem- easiest to get to/from, supervised kids program, big heated pool but no other kids facilities. Downside is that will be on high floor and worried will need to be constantly waiting for the shabbos elevator to go to/from our room. I'm guessing that's a big bottleneck at pesach hotels. Also we may need to all be in one room.

So- WWYD?

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 3:30 am
Option 2

2gether

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 3:31 am
I would opt for Option 2.
Quiet- in both of your states, accesible-on the same floor and in the country, has a kids program and hopefully the food is good

Elfrida

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 3:52 am
The extra space and privacy you would get in the tzimmerim sounds like a big factor to me. There isn't much Chol HaMoed this year, and that leaves three days of Chag/Shabbat, and probably part of the day on erev Shabbat/Chag where you would be responsible anyway. In a tzimmer you will not have to be on top of each other all the time, and will have some space to relax away from the crowd. Are there any indoor activities there, in case we get a rainy or cold Pesach?

You haven't mentioned it as a priority, but what sort of seder facilities would you get at any of these places? Are you happy with a communal seder, or is it important that you could have a private seder?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 4:06 am
The hotels (option 1,3 ,4) would all have some afternoon program on yom tov and shabbat for the kids, which the tzimmer wouldn't.
The tizmmers also only have a small dining room, and no other communal indoor space. It does have nice gardens but Pesach weather in Israel is unpredictable - it could be hot and sunny, and it could be rainy.

For all of the programs we would have our own family seder, but conducted in the communal dining room. That's what's usual in Israeli programs. It does get very loud with each family going at their own pace, but private seder rooms cost $$. I have a small hope the tzimmer place may agree to us conducting the seder in our tzimmer, but I haven't discussed that with them yet.

The small hotel up north has a small and crowded dining room with bad acoustics (my family went there years ago), have no idea the size of the other dining rooms.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 7:49 am
Option 2. It's sounds the most comfortable. How many hours do you plan on sitting in the dining room anyway. Let your kids enjoy the programs and you have easy accesabilty to your room and everything around you.

Raisin

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 7:57 am
Option 2, or 3 if there is stuff to do on yom tov itself. Theres also something nice about doing things with your kids. Honestly both sound nice options, it all depends on your personality.

If there are other kids your kids can play with they will likely be busy with them anyway and you can switch off with other parents watching them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 8:39 am
Thanks everyone! It's OP again.

The Jerusalem hotel has offered us a suite, so the kids can sleep in the living room, for the same price.

My husband is keenest on that option (4) because it is the easiest to get to and from, and will save the hassle of getting back from the north on Motzai chag. It's also a slightly nicer hotel than (2).

The only downside is being reliant on a shabbos elevator on shabbos/yomtov.

Has anyone here done yom tov in a large hotel? How bad does the wait for the elevator get? We both can't stand for a long time.

I see nobody here thinks (1) is a good idea. That was my favorite, but I guess it's not just my husband who thinks relying on flights and a hotel transfer is a mistake in our situation!

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 9:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The Jerusalem hotel has offered us a suite, so the kids can sleep in the living room, for the same price.

My husband is keenest on that option (4) because it is the easiest to get to and from, and will save the hassle of getting back from the north on Motzai chag. It's also a slightly nicer hotel than (2).

Has anyone here done yom tov in a large hotel? How bad does the wait for the elevator get? We both can't stand for a long time.

I see nobody here thinks (1) is a good idea. That was my favorite, but I guess it's not just my husband who thinks relying on flights and a hotel transfer is a mistake in our situation!

I think you’re overthinking the elevator situation. If it seems like an issue you can ask the hotel for chairs near the elevator on your floor and in the lobby.

That option makes the most sense to me too, going to Europe with kids is an undertaking even when in the best of health (iyh you should be able to easily in the future!)

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 9:33 am
Yerushalayim
So you have to wait for the elevator
Sit until the elevator is there

Near the bet Hamikdash

avrahamama

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 9:34 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I think you’re overthinking the elevator situation. If it seems like an issue you can ask the hotel for chairs near the elevator on your floor and in the lobby.

That option makes the most sense to me too, going to Europe with kids is an undertaking even when in the best of health (iyh you should be able to easily in the future!)

Chairs near the elevator! Smart! Enjoy. Bshaa Tova and refuah shlaima to your husband.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 9:55 am
I can see why #1 sound so nice but I would avoid major travel in your case I would go with #4

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 11:41 am
This program is not fancy but was more affordable and had good children’s programming when we went

http://www.pesach-israel.com/program.html

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
This program is not fancy but was more affordable and had good children’s programming when we went

http://www.pesach-israel.com/program.html

Thank you! I actually looked into that, but the programs we are considering are cheaper.

The hotel in Jerusalem we want to go to is the Jerusalem Gardens. Has anyone ever been there for Pesach who can dis/recommend it?

banana123

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 2:55 pm
Option 2 but only if the pool is properly fenced in and locked.

banana123

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 2:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Sounds like 4 might be good too.

But honestly I feel like Yerushalayim will be much more crowded than the north, and you'll have more space to breathe and more space in general, plus probably better weather, if you take option 2.

But if it saves you hassle and the accommodations are nicer (does it save you money, too?) then maybe it's worth it.

I, personally, would go for 2, as long as the pool isn't a hazard (too many tragedies).

banana123

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 2:59 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I can see why #1 sound so nice but I would avoid major travel in your case I would go with #4

1 sounds nice but the downside is that if you need a doctor you're abroad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics