Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How can my newborn stay up for 6 hours??!!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:24 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Lol Very Happy I let my 6 week old cry in 2 minute intervals, my now 9 month old self-settles BH by now! I was just offering a suggestion, knew I'd get tomatoes Laugh I'm not gonna start explaining what a kind, sensitive person I actlly am (I think?), just found that comment quite funny... Hatzlacha OP!

Everything I’ve read says no sleep training before 4 months.

mig100

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:08 pm
healthymom1 wrote:
Her days and nights are mixed up
That's normal. You rocked her all day inside and she slept and at night when you laid down she got up.

That's so interesting. Never realized that. Is that really why they shave day and night mixed up?

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 8:13 pm
Read the happiest baby on the block or just google the 5 Ss.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 9:14 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
There's a big difference between allowing a 6 week old to cry and a 9 month old!! And I'm thinking that maybe you feel comfortable letting your baby cry is because your mom let you cry, maybe it dulls sensitivity.

You know. A person can still be sensitive to their child's cry but know that what they are doing is the right thing for their child.

We cry all day for the Shechina to come and comfort us already. For some reason we havent had geulah yet. Can you imagine the pain the shechina is going through? To know your children are crying for you, but also know you just can't get them yet. I can. I've sat and read tehillim outside my crying baby's door. But I knew as his mother what was right for our family and him.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:22 am
Your baby is looking for an extra feeding so she can settle in for a longer stretch at night. It is perfectly normal!! Do you give bottles? Offer a few extra ounces in the evening and see how she does.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 5:01 am
She hates the swing. She only sleeps on her tummy. She’s on formula and takes an extra 2 oz at her 7-8 o’clock feeding. I’m in a dark room with her with minimal interaction from the first sign of sleepiness in the evening.
It’s baby #6, You would think I have this down pat by now LOL

Tonight she was asleep by 11 bh!

TheNeutralOne

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 7:34 am
Do you drink coffee?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 7:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She hates the swing. She only sleeps on her tummy. She’s on formula and takes an extra 2 oz at her 7-8 o’clock feeding. I’m in a dark room with her with minimal interaction from the first sign of sleepiness in the evening.
It’s baby #6, You would think I have this down pat by now LOL

Tonight she was asleep by 11 bh!

What formula is she taking? Maybe you need to switch.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:01 am
Deleted

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 8:15 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Ok, get your tomatoes ready - but read my whole post before aiming TMI
My DD was a nightmare of a newborn when it came to sleeping. 9 months along I can tell you she never morphed into an angelic sleeper, but I think we've finally worked it out. I did the following in order to remain sane.
A newborn is allowed to cry. I fed her, changed her, swaddled her and put her in her bassinet THEN LEFT! I sat there timing 2 minutes before popping back in for a pat/rock/replacing paci etc. It was extremely unpleasant to hear her crying for those 2 minutes, but I just could not sit in tears trying to hold her to sleep every single morning, afternoon and evening. She was not a huge fan of the paci, but I kept popping it back in until she learnt to use it as a soother. It wasn't a miraculous solution; it took time to see results. She would cry for an hour in 2-minute intervals, then 45 minutes, then half an hour etc until she BH finally learned to just fall asleep. There is no harm in letting a newborn cry for maximum 2 minutes at a time - my friend took her 3mo for sleep training and was told this explicitly.
I am not talking about a baby who will settle in your arms and then sleep well once transferred to a bed. I am talking about the kind of 4 week old who will be up for 9 hours straight no matter WHAT you do.
You may now aim and fire... Shooting Arrow

The 2 min intervals still add up to an hour of crying. Not ok to do that to a newborn.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 11:45 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
What formula is she taking? Maybe you need to switch.

She’s on her 3rd formula so far.
She’s on gentlease

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 11:53 am
One of my babies slept decently for the first month or two and then all of the sudden stopped. I was at the pediatrician for a different reason and happened to mention it and she recommended giving a probiotic. The two options were gerber soothe drops and florastor. It worked so well. It settled his stomach and he became much much less gassy and went back to sleeping. If you can try either of them I really recommend it!

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 12:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She’s on her 3rd formula so far.
She’s on gentlease

Have you tried taking her off dairy formula?
My baby is a different baby bh from when we switched him to soy based formula.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 06 2020, 7:29 am
A baby can sometimes stay up a looong time - what matters is sleep overall.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics