Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Using all High Gluten very sticky

pleaseadvice

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 10:19 pm
I see many recipes suggesting using high gluten flour for challah. I ried it and it was a very, very sticky dough I needed to add lots flour to take it out of the bowl.

Does anyone know how to use high gluten flour? Ånd how much is recommended when making 5lbs of challah?

Thanks,

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 10:22 pm
I've used high gluten recently, and the challah B"H was excellent. I made it for several weeks like that. in general, if you need to add flour, you need to add flour. sometimes yes, sometimes no. but all those who ate it, particularly loved this recipe (a non high gluten recipe with high gluten flour).

hatzlacha.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 11:08 pm
I believe it's a chemical thing, not using all high gluen. causes the yeast to short out, or some such.

pleaseadvice

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:15 pm
Tehilla -

Do you have this recipe you made with high gluten flour. Can you please share it.

Thanks,

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:17 pm
you use any recipe and replace regular flour with high gluten flour.

sticky is good. I find when my dough is sticky my challah comes out the best. but if its too sticky flour your board before shaping or use oil to make it less sticky

pleaseadvice

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:32 pm
I mixed it in the kitchen aid and found that it was so sticky that I had trouble taking it out of the bowl that was why I added extra regular flour. Maybe I should of used less water when using high gluten flour what do think?

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 7:36 pm
EstiS, you're right that my stickier doughs are the best. But OP sounded like hers was just TOO sticky.

I also sprinkle extra flour when I'm braiding and let it stay stickier when rising.

pleaseadvise, I'll happily share the recipe with you. Just have to look it up later!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads