Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Pesach, greece, in laws

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:19 pm
My in laws insist that we come with them for pesach to greece like originally planned because the hotel will be running.
I personally am too worried to fly and to stay in a foreign country now, eventhough it has a low corona virus count. (Although, that could be due to them not testing as rigorously in my opinion)

What do you think I should do?
Husband wants to go.
I'm so sad to be having shalom bayis issues over something that was meant to be a gift from my in laws.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:22 pm
By the time pesach rolls around travel restrictions will likely be in place anyway.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:23 pm
I hope so but I can't know for sure. Also, flights and hotel have to be confirmed soon.am so stressed.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:27 pm
Europe is like one country people travel back and forth from all the countries except England. it’s not a safe place right now. I wouldn’t go.

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:28 pm
By then the virus should be prevalent everywhere.

I personally would not deliberately put myself in a traveling situation where I am in airports, planes and in public places like hotels where there are large groups congregating together.

Obviously you can’t protect or isolate yourself anywhere, but I would prefer to be at home surrounded by my own support system rather than possibly stranded and quarantined far from home.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 10:28 pm
Sorry to say I would have to say no based on what’s going on

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 10:37 pm
I personally am not worried and would go. Greece is so remote anyway. IYH I have plans to go with my extended family elsewhere in Europe and unless the program shutters or flights are cancelled we plan to go. I don’t conduct myself out of fear. Coronavirus is down the block from me (literally, in my shul) but we feel we are acting sensibly by taking appropriate precautions re; hygiene and hand washing but to me that doesn’t include shitting myself off from the world. Literally staying home by choice doesn’t make sense to me. It’s just not how I operate.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 10:41 pm
ectomorph wrote:
By the time pesach rolls around travel restrictions will likely be in place anyway.

Why be pessimistic.. With Hashems help this will be behind us by then..
Whipo is worrying about ebola these days that was a lot worse

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 11:01 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I personally am not worried and would go. Greece is so remote anyway. IYH I have plans to go with my extended family elsewhere in Europe and unless the program shutters or flights are cancelled we plan to go. I don’t conduct myself out of fear. Coronavirus is down the block from me (literally, in my shul) but we feel we are acting sensibly by taking appropriate precautions re; hygiene and hand washing but to me that doesn’t include shitting myself off from the world. Literally staying home by choice doesn’t make sense to me. It’s just not how I operate.

It seems you do conduct yourself out of fear, otherwise you wouldn't go amother and refrain from mentioning where exactly you are going in europe.

At least the fear of corona is legitimate.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 11:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It seems you do conduct yourself out of fear, otherwise you wouldn't go amother and refrain from mentioning where exactly you are going in europe.

At least the fear of corona is legitimate.

Did I miss the part where you asked me where I’m going to ?

anonymity and privacy Is NOT the same as fear.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 1:05 am
Tell your ILs the situation is too fluid for you to do that. Greece is pretty close to Italy - people can take ferry rides there in under a day. There's no way there hasn't been crossover.

If the situation spirals, are you comfortable relying on Greek medical facilities if it comes to that? No one is going to let you board a plane if you test positive. Even if you don't catch it, if Greece becomes a "Do Not Travel" place, are you comfortable spending two weeks in quarantine on your return? That's if the program doesn't cancel last second which is also a high possibility.

Tell your ILs there are too many reasonable unknowns here, and it's not worth the risks. I honestly can't believe someone would actively book at this time. They must have their heads very far in the sand.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:53 am
What Whatfor said.

I hope they can hear you.

You do have to do what is right for you and your family. Even if they don't understand now they will soon.

s c

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:05 am
I live in the uk but wouldn't book now for anywhere in Europe for pesach. Its really spreading now and highly likely that you wont be able to go by then anyway or that the program will be shut down.

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 8:20 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

No it's not.

Easter Island is remote. Siberia is remote. Greenland is remote.

Greece is smack in the Mediterranean.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 8:25 am
In Israel, the sickest Corona victim is a bus driver who drove around a group from Greece. Many of them tested positive. An employee of the Israeli embassy in Athens has also tested positive.

Again, you have to consider the possibility of being quarantined once in Greece, and of relying on medical care there.

The best hotel situation, anywhere in the world, involves crowds of people in close proximity. This doesn't seem like a good idea. Better to use the money that would have gone to the trip, and pay for catered food at home.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 8:28 am
DrMom wrote:
No it's not.

Easter Island is remote. Siberia is remote. Greenland is remote.

Greece is smack in the Mediterranean.

Greece is:
1. Not remote
2. Has an outbreak just like everyone else.

I'm surprised the program is still on. Greece just cancelled school and put in place lots of social distancing measures.

I wouldn't go and I wouldn't be surprised if it soon wasn't an option anyways

lcraighten

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 8:54 am
I would definitely not go. I have a friend who was traveling out of the country and is now having trouble getting back in. It's not so simple. What happens if you get sick there? There will be other Pesachs and other years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics