Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Local Pesach Hotel-Are u scared to go?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:46 pm
Anyone going to a Pesach program in the NY area and scared about corona? How safe is it to be sharing food, lobbies, elevators etc with hundreds of people?

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 11:53 pm
While one can't predict what conditions will be in four weeks, it would seem that a program in a hotel would be pretty equivalent to a cruise - e.g. large number of people in a closed venue using common facilities and eating in communal dining room.

It seems to be exactly the kind of situation one would want to avoid.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:02 am
I am hoping that my parent's program is canceled. I don't want them going or to join them myself. They are not going to want to cancel, as it is both paid for and there is no way it will be fully refunded-(the people running the program have already laid out plenty of money), and my mom really enjoys going- looking forward to it all year. I worry about them getting sick and I don't want to take my family nor do I want to fight with them. The CDC/DOH closing it would be the best thing for me!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:09 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I am hoping that my parent's program is canceled. I don't want them going or to join them myself. They are not going to want to cancel, as it is both paid for and there is no way it will be fully refunded-(the people running the program have already laid out plenty of money), and my mom really enjoys going- looking forward to it all year. I worry about them getting sick and I don't want to take my family nor do I want to fight with them. The CDC/DOH closing it would be the best thing for me!

So what are people who can’t make Pesach supposed to do?

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Wouldn’t it depend on why they can’t make it.

You can hire a crew to clean and I would imagine local shops would be able to ramp up to supply food for every meal if necessary.

I doubt that services like this would be impossible to procure.

If someone can’t make it for another reason, then there might be different solutions.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'd assume if you can afford a Pesach program, you can afford to hire cleaning crew to help you out.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:40 am
What amarante said

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:48 am
I would not use the term scared but I would say that I would not go as do not consider it advisable at this time.

ellacoe

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:49 am
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I hope I don't sound selfish, but maybe I am, or maybe I am just overly neurotic about COVID-19.

I am usually one who defends Pesach and other programs. My family is really not in a position to make Yom Tov at home for multiple reasons. I understand many of the different situations and dynamics -including but not limited to; large families needing a space to get together, complications of frum/non-frum family spending YT together, the inability to cook/clean/prepare, singles or tiny families not wanting to be alone, distance to meet up/travel needs....
BUT we are potentially talking severe illness and possibly death. I do not need elderly, immunocompromised parents, in a petri- dish. I would rather sleep in their tiny living-room, with my husband and teenage children-in sleeping bags, have (for both me and the kids) nothing to do, nowhere to go, and nobody to talk to, eat take-out chicken for all meat meals and matza sandwiches for the dairy ones (one tiny fridge and a seriously minimal kitchen) ....
THAN RISK MY PARENTS GETTING CORONA

wearingmycrown

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 1:04 am
I need to go away for Pesach, not an option to make it even with help.. now what?!

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 2:07 am
wearingmycrown wrote:
I need to go away for Pesach, not an option to make it even with help.. now what?!

So you go.

You wash your hands, avoid sneezers, and daven to Hashem that it should all be good.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 2:39 am
Look, if you need to do Pesach on your own, you can. You don't need to go crazy with the cleaning or cooking. Do what is required but don't go overboard.

Think about Jewish history. Jews made Pesach under far more stressful circumstances than "my hotel program was canceled."

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 6:35 am
What if programmes would offer the option of room service/private dining room meals? That would probably minimise the risk somewhat.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 6:58 am
Hugs Op!

As usual ellacoe you add a wonderful reasoned voice of fact based calm sanity to every conversation!

Thank you so much!

A happy healthy truly joyous meaningful PURIM to everyone!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 7:41 am
people on the cruise were quarantined in their tiny rooms for days some with no windows
the news says 70 yeard old and above should avoid crowds and travel

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 8:27 am
I had read anyone 60 years old or older or in frail health should not travel at all R"L.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics