Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Would you keep an asthmatic child home?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 6:28 am
My son has asthma, the schools in my area are all open, I’m considering keeping just him home, but I don’t know there is a benefit to keeping only one person home. I’m also concerned because my husband is an emt, so he’s around sick people all the time, and Im nervous about him being exposed.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 6:48 am
If he has a very severe case and you live in NY/ somewhere with a lot of cases then maybe .

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 6:56 am
Yes

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 6:59 am
Yes

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 7:46 am
I have an asthmatic child (amd have asthma myself) but there are only 4 cases in my state. I was told by pediatrician to continue living life like normal .

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:12 am
Yes

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:19 am
Yes, am. Trying to keep them even in the home not on top of anyone with even ANY mild viral symptoms at all if they are old enough. Would NOT want to deal with an ER in coming weeks if at all possible.

My kids school is still listening to local dr instead of experts in I.d. and dr 's with some experience from harder hit countries. Sometimes you got to make the call yourself.

itsmeima

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 9:21 am
Ask you doctor!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:15 am
itsmeima wrote:
Ask you doctor!

I did! She said it’s my call

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did! She said it’s my call

Wow, that is a really tough call. I guess it would depend on how severe the asthma was. Such a scary choice to have to make.

As your DH is an EMT, I would have him change clothes in the garage or foyer before coming into the house. Clothes should go straight into the washing machine. I've read that doctors and nurses take the same precautions when they come home to their families.

Hashem should keep us all safe, as calm as possible, and give us the wisdom to get through this crisis in health and long life.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:25 am
My sons doctor is affiliated with Boston children’s hospital and they say it’s not a concern at all. I would not keep them home if your doctor was concerned they would say stay home she saying it’s your call so you can blame her for anything

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:44 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
My sons doctor is affiliated with Boston children’s hospital and they say it’s not a concern at all. I would not keep them home if your doctor was concerned they would say stay home she saying it’s your call so you can blame her for anything

Can you explain please? How is it not a concern? Afaik asthma is considered a pre-existing condition that can make this virus worse? I mean if there is definitely no chance of the child catching coronavirus in school, fine, but how would you know that?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:

How does blaming anyone help, if god forbid the child gets sick? Will that somehow lessen the illness?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:07 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
How does blaming anyone help, if god forbid the child gets sick? Will that somehow lessen the illness?

If the child goes to school and by chance gets sick the mother can’t say but the doctor said. It’s a normal response from the doctor to cover themselves.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Can you explain please? How is it not a concern? Afaik asthma is considered a pre-existing condition that can make this virus worse? I mean if there is definitely no chance of the child catching coronavirus in school, fine, but how would you know that?

I didn’t say I know . What I am saying is what a big hospital said. My child also has asthma. Do we know what our children can catch in school? Not at all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics