Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Utopian proposal

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:18 pm
Of course this is not possible, but how awesome would it be if we could divide into 2 separate societies.
One which is in agreement with and holds by all the rules of quarantine/social distancing/no Pesach guests or going away/ no visitors or husbands in L&D, and all that jazz.
All the people and medical professionals who subscribe to that school of thought will collaborate and work together as a society and facilitate supporting and taking care of one another.

Everyone who feels this is all unnecessary or that that they have extenuating reasons why this should not apply to them can all exist in a separate sphere. All medical/health personnel with that philosophy would be there to support the needs of that community, teachers and administrators who don't feel that closing school is necessary would maintain open schools there as well. Rebbeyim who believe that the Shuls should stay open and that Talmud Torah bchaburah should continue would be there as well.

(They also have their own separate hospital building-staffing is based on who picks which lifestyle, and their own supplies of PPE and medical equipment to ration as they see fit. Misuse of resources -human or material, does not transfer resources from one community to the other)

This way we can all live as we feel appropriate without feeling that we are being exposed and our lives being endangered needlessly or that we a being stifled and emotionally disregarded.

Discuss.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:24 pm
I'm not sure you will find any medical professionals who think we shouldnt have to isolate and distance

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:44 pm
Uk started with the line, carry on as usual. Isolate yourself if elderly.

They're now on lockdown.

Real utopia is no sickness. No death.

Moshiach.

Eta: as a community, I have seen tremendous support, while everyone keeps isolated. You can have both. Social distancing and quarantine doesn't mean we can't help and support each other.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:49 pm
It's not all-or-nothing.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:51 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I'm not sure you will find any medical professionals who think we shouldnt have to isolate and distance

This is just factually untrue. My parents are both physicians and they and their colleagues believe that isolating on the scale we are is completely impractical. Even their friend who works at the CDC agrees. They think that after 2-3 weeks of large scale isolation, we should open up society and then isolate pockets where the disease is very active. I actually think you'd be hard-pressed to find doctors beyond those who live in an ivory tower of academia who agree that isolation for months is the answer.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:52 pm
The careful group suffers economic collapse.

The anything-goes group suffers a high death rate and a lack of medical care longer-term.

Everybody loses. I think there some practical approaches between these extremes.

happy12

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:57 pm
[quote="amother [ Mint ]"]This is just factually untrue. My parents are both physicians and they and their colleagues believe that isolating on the scale we are is completely impractical. Even their friend who works at the CDC agrees. They think that after 2-3 weeks of large scale isolation, we should open up society and then isolate pockets where the disease is very active. I actually think you'd be hard-pressed to find doctors beyond those who live in an ivory tower of academia who agree that isolation for months is the answer.[/quote
This. But nyc most probably should isolate for up to a month.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:05 pm
I am coming from the place, as a health care worker, where I am so tired of all these people here who want to get there whole family together for Pesach, want their DH in for labor, and are at best whining about and at worst just not respecting the quarantines and other regulations put into place. I feel like some of us are the ones who are going to have to endanger ourselves and pick up the piece because they are "more special " and know better. At this time I feel like I am happy (ok, maybe happy is a little to strong a word) to take care of people who follow guidelines which I feel is doing their share, but I don't think it is fair to endanger my family for people who know better. If you want to follow different guidelines, and you have doctors, rabbis, and gurus who are proponents of what you want to do, you should all be responsible for each other, not the people who you don't respect and can't be bothered to listen to.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:28 pm
The original Utopia was an island ...

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:48 pm
OP isnt it easier to just do genetic retrograde scan and delete Corona 19 from the matrix , just edit it out like they do on Star Trek Very Happy

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:45 pm
Since at least half the issue stems from not having enough tests, it's hard to say much of anything.

Once we have any kind of concept, it's a whole different conversation.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:51 pm
On Facebook, we are dividing up the world into districts, a la "The Hunger Games".

If you've already had the virus, you can volunteer as tribute. I hear the Capital has all the toilet paper, but District 12 has a secret stash of hand sanitizer. LOL

(Oh wait, that's dystopian, not utopian. Never mind!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics