Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Making homeschool sustainable

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:12 pm
Some of us started off this homeschool thing all fired up with color coded schedules and activities for every hour. Some of us said "uh, no way," and didn't do a single thing from school, instead giving their kids free rein to do whatever they wanted.

I feel like it is important to start thinking of this in a more long term sense. This may last until at least September, maybe even into the next school year. I've heard February mentioned. While we all hope this is not a long term thing, planning for that will enable us to make a sustainable, balanced plan that can keep us and our kids well taken care of--not just sane.

So, what do we need? What do our kids need?
I think each family needs different things based on our temperament, whether anyone is sick, etc.

For me, I think there needs to be a balance. I need to let go of the schedule somewhat, but I also need some set appointments every day that give the day structure. I need to value the kids playing nicely together and learning social skills. Fresh air is just as important as kriya.

And what about us? I need to have off time with my tech. I must go to bed on time no matter what. I need to eat healthy foods so I don't crash. I need to connect with friends in permissible ways.

It's time to stop surviving and accept that this is our reality and we are capable of stepping up to the plate. We can do this. No perfectly, because perfect doesn't exist. But well. We can do this well. Hashem gave us these circumstances and we can do it!

I would love ideas and feedback!

Wife1

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:29 pm
I don't know where you are getting your info even in China they only had a 3 month lockdown

Zehava

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:21 pm
We’re doing a schedule without timing. Just a rough outline of what happens after what.
And just using it as a guide.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Some of us started off this homeschool thing all fired up with color coded schedules and activities for every hour. Some of us said "uh, no way," and didn't do a single thing from school, instead giving their kids free rein to do whatever they wanted.

I feel like it is important to start thinking of this in a more long term sense. This may last until at least September, maybe even into the next school year. I've heard February mentioned. While we all hope this is not a long term thing, planning for that will enable us to make a sustainable, balanced plan that can keep us and our kids well taken care of--not just sane.

So, what do we need? What do our kids need?
I think each family needs different things based on our temperament, whether anyone is sick, etc.

For me, I think there needs to be a balance. I need to let go of the schedule somewhat, but I also need some set appointments every day that give the day structure. I need to value the kids playing nicely together and learning social skills. Fresh air is just as important as kriya.

And what about us? I need to have off time with my tech. I must go to bed on time no matter what. I need to eat healthy foods so I don't crash. I need to connect with friends in permissible ways.

It's time to stop surviving and accept that this is our reality and we are capable of stepping up to the plate. We can do this. No perfectly, because perfect doesn't exist. But well. We can do this well. Hashem gave us these circumstances and we can do it!

I would love ideas and feedback!

If schools don't open until next February, we're probably going to have large scale social unrest in this country not to mention a complete economic devastation so I don't think homeschool sustainability will be the biggest problem.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:52 pm
I am pumped to try some things I've always wanted to do and incorporate learning into them. Is that what they call unschooling?

E.g. a farm unit where we plant up the backyard with veggies, and use it to learn plant science, agricultural halachos with milim and shorashim, maybe some lamed tes melachos, write reports on the process with English vocab and grammar, draw diagrams, maybe tie in some history and creative writing (invention of farm implements? Historical development of agriculture? Historical fiction essays from the perspective of someone in those days?). Maybe even get some chicks or fertilized eggs.

This is all very ambitious and I don't know how much of it will happen. It also depends on me being able to cut my work hours, which I'll probably have to do either way, and finding out if there's any financial help for parents who have to cut their hours.

Anyway, I would want it to be more of an all day, all encompassing, curiosity led fun project where everything gets tied in, than something with color coded schedules and lesson plans for each subject.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:03 am
I’m hoping to do a couch to 5k program with my kids. (I am a runner already.) Going to surprise them and order medals on Amazon and create fake bibs for them to wear on our 5k run when they finish training.

Looking forward to hearing more ideas!

Rappel

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:29 am
We've instated a 1 hour quiet time/nap in the middle of the day. This is mostly for imma's benefit, but it lets me keep going until the end of the day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics