Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Oak And Vine, Blue River, Chestnut, Lakewood, NJ
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 2:11 pm
Hi,
I'm looking into moving to Lakewood, chestnut area.
Could anyone living there help me figure out the pros and cons of each neighborhood?
which neighborhood should I choose?? Blue River, Oak and Vine, streets off Chestnut ave?
my husband did not learn in Lakewood. We're considering the move due to the high costs of buying in Brooklyn.

I am 30 years old, Very heimish Chassidish, covered sheitel, I don't drive.
I live now in a building with 4 amazing Boro Park families, one family sends to Bais Yaakov, one to Satmar, One to Nesivos, and I send to a real chassidish school. We get along beautifully and I wish they can move into my new neighborhood too..
Yet, I wouldn't consider moving into a Flatbush type crowd. They're amazing people just not my speed.

Anyone who did the move, can you share if you're happy with your decision? why? did you have any pleasant, or unpleasant surprises once you were there? Would you want to move back?

I live off 13th Ave and 50th street now. Will it be a hard adjustment?

Regarding schools, I hope and think that my kids will have an easy time with the change.

Would greatly appreciate to hear from anyone who did the move.
Tuzku Lmitzvos!

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 4:19 pm
Oak and Vine is chassidish/heimish. Kossov and Klausenber &/or Vizhnitz and maybe others have shuls there. You will have some shopping right there- a supermarket, eyeglass, hardware, pizza, wine store. More will be right there soon.
But that's it. The town is not set up for walking. Route 9, outside the development is a very busy almost highway that's difficult to cross and not fun to walk next to.
Your choices in schools and shopping and jobs is limited, choices and quality of doctors is very limited. Either drive or use expensive car service. There is a shuttle from Belz but I don't know if ot stops there.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 4:21 pm
You need a broker who knows the area well.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 4:24 pm
You wouldn’t be comfortable in Chestnut .
Oak and Vine sounds right for you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
You need a broker who knows the area well.

I am with a broker, I saw houses in those neighborhoods but don't know what to choose Surprised
Oak and Vine does pull us most due to the amount of neighbors and being near Evergreen and some other stores.
The only big advantage I see, (for my family), of Chestnut over Oak and vine is the front and backyard.
Oak and vine has windows of neighboring houses facing each other, while Blue river is more private but no grocery right there.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:33 pm
cnc wrote:
You wouldn’t be comfortable in Chestnut .
Oak and Vine sounds right for you.

I have 2 friends, who are very much my style, who bought in Chestnut this year. They said, and my broker also said, that the neighborhood is having many Heimish Chasidish families moving in.
Is this true?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:36 pm
we are chassidish. moved to oak and vine. BH BH BH. a thousand times. Children are adjusting beautifully. I dont drive. I literally have everything I need walking distance. contrary to what the other poster said, there ate more shopping centers right here. todd plaza and seagull square and the one by 4 corners and chateu plaza. im always out and about (before present situation) and evergreen plaza is literally in my backyard. and yes clifton, gourmet glatt plaza on madison, cedarbridge area and other shopping centers are accessible with the shuttle that circulates all over lakewood. you hop on for a dollar. The people here are beyond nice. a real community feel (I am coming from the same neighnorhood as you in bp). dont hesitate, youll love it BEZH

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:42 pm
and regarding privacy. lots of people put up gates so discerning property lines are easier and its really a nice amount of yard. planning to put a trampoline and swing set BEZH. we did some really nice landscaping in the front as well...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:47 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Oak and Vine is chassidish/heimish. Kossov and Klausenber &/or Vizhnitz and maybe others have shuls there. You will have some shopping right there- a supermarket, eyeglass, hardware, pizza, wine store. More will be right there soon.
But that's it. The town is not set up for walking. Route 9, outside the development is a very busy almost highway that's difficult to cross and not fun to walk next to.
Your choices in schools and shopping and jobs is limited, choices and quality of doctors is very limited. Either drive or use expensive car service. There is a shuttle from Belz but I don't know if ot stops there.

Thanks for the details!!
I work from home, so my job stays the same.
I'd consider satmar school.
Are there any families in Oak and Vine sending to Satmar?

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have 2 friends, who are very much my style, who bought in Chestnut this year. They said, and my broker also said, that the neighborhood is having many Heimish Chasidish families moving in.
Is this true?

Interesting - I have close family in Chestnut and am pretty familiar with the neighborhood but it’s very possible the crowd is shifting - especially if you have friends that bought there.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:50 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
we are chassidish. moved to oak and vine. BH BH BH. a thousand times. Children are adjusting beautifully. I dont drive. I literally have everything I need walking distance. contrary to what the other poster said, there ate more shopping centers right here. todd plaza and seagull square and the one by 4 corners and chateu plaza. im always out and about (before present situation) and evergreen plaza is literally in my backyard. and yes clifton, gourmet glatt plaza on madison, cedarbridge area and other shopping centers are accessible with the shuttle that circulates all over lakewood. you hop on for a dollar. The people here are beyond nice. a real community feel (I am coming from the same neighnorhood as you in bp). dont hesitate, youll love it BEZH

Hi! Nice to hear from someone who actually lives there!

ok, I'm taking your words very seriously:) Thanks loads for the post!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:51 pm
yep. lots of families send to satmar moised. the buses for girls and boys make quite a few stops in oak and vine

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:53 pm
cnc wrote:
Interesting - I have close family in Chestnut and am pretty familiar with the neighborhood but it’s very possible the crowd is shifting - especially if you have friends that bought there.

They relied on the broker's word and so do I Can't Believe It Maybe he's just trying to sell..

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They relied on the broker's word and so do I Can't Believe It Maybe he's just trying to sell..

Well three is already a crowd ! So if he keeps doing this - it may actually turn heimish chassidish .

ETA: there are people there that would identify themselves as heimish/ chassidish but they would send to schools like Bnos Penina etc - not satmar!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:01 pm
cnc wrote:
Well three is already a crowd ! So if he keeps doing this - it may actually turn heimish chassidish .

ETA: there are people there that would identify themselves as heimish/ chassidish but they would send to schools like Bnos Penina etc - not satmar!

Right,
My 2 friends are sending to Satmar.
I am not looking for Satmar crowd at all thogh, I want a frum heimish crowd.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:02 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
yep. lots of families send to satmar moised. the buses for girls and boys make quite a few stops in oak and vine

ok, This was an important thing for me to know. I don't want my kids to be the 'ultra' chasidish ones there..
Here I send to a neutral Chasidish place. Don't want to out myself even under amother. lol. I send to a moised like Alexander, Darkei Chaim, Bnei Torah, Darkei Avos, Bobov 45, Bnos Chaya.
Yet I heard beautiful things about Satmar in lakewood and I can fit in well too even though I'm not Satmar.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right,
My 2 friends are sending to Satmar.
I am not looking for Satmar crowd at all
I want a frum heimish crowd.

If you want you can PM me - and I can better describe the people I know living there ....
I understand you’re not looking for a Satmar crowd but I’m not sure that the current crowd is what you’re looking for ....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:06 pm
cnc wrote:
If you want you can PM me - and I can better describe the people I know living there ....
I understand you’re not looking for a Satmar crowd but I’m not sure that the current crowd is what you’re looking for ....

Thank you! I might pm you!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:13 pm
Op ask your friends living in Chestnut area if any shopping is in reasonable walking distance. I don't know of any stores that are too close there.

We moved recently from bp too. I don't live in any of the neighborhoods you mentioned but driving past them it seems that only oak and vine really has a lot of shopping that's walking distance.

Just be aware, tuition tends to be higher here and good doctors are hard to find or to get in to. The lifestyle in general is hard for non drivers. The ladies may not mind as much but the husbands that need to do the chauffeuring do!
Try to gather as many cons as you can from city people living here so you are aware of any potential hardships and aren't disappointed.

Personally we love it here but we don't need city lifestyle. Dh and I both drive and we enjoy quiet and privacy so that's the kind of area we chose to buy in.

Gefiltefish

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:25 pm
I live in OAK and Vine and I am extremely happy! Can’t say it enough!! It’s unbelievable community life, peaceful and not too nosy but nice and warm too! I’m From Boro park and chassidishe too although I do drive (which many chassidishe ladies do and it’s not considered negative here). The ones that don’t drive manage quite well too with the shuttles etc!! Highly recommended!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating