Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach cookies

2cents

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 5:13 pm
I tried so many cookie recipes, gleaned from the threads here and from the between carpools blog, and the only ones that came out good were the 123 cookies. Trying to figure out what I did wrong.

My chocolate chip cookies flattened all the way, away to nothing basically. For the second batch I added more potato starch and they still flattened.
Same thing for non gebroks chocolate crinkle cookies.

The chocolate crinkle cookies with cake meal were hard as a rock.

Any suggestions for my next attempt?

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:28 pm
What kind of oil are you using?

How accurate is your oven temperature?

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:30 pm
I have 2 no fail fantastic cookie recipes; one chocolate chip gebrochs, one chocolate almond non gebrochs. I just made more, to last through the end of YT.

animeme

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:44 pm
Does the gebrochs one have nuts? If not, can you post?

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:58 pm
Chocolate chip cookies

1/2 C margarine or 1/3 C oil
1/3 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 t vanilla (or equivalent of vanilla sugar)
1 egg

Mix

1/3 C potato starch
2/3 C matza cake meal
1/4 t salt
1 t baking powder

Blend and add to wet ingredients

1 C chocolate chips
You can add 1/2 C chopped walnuts, but I never do.

Drop into cookie sheet with baking paper, at least 2" apart, because they spread. If you don't want them to spread, try using coconut oil instead of other oil choice.

Bake 11-12 minutes at 375, switching racks halfway. Remove baking sheet from pan immediately so cookies will cool faster.

Enjoy!

animeme

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:00 pm
Thanks!

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:03 pm
Shoshana's Chocolate Almond Drops (non gebrochs)

These were invented by my friend, who is an amazing baker.

2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 C sugar

Mix eggs and sugar. Add:

1/2 C cocoa
1 to 1 1/2 oz oil (depending on which oil, and your taste)
1 C ground almonds
1 t vanilla
1/4 t cinnamon

Drop on cookie sheets covered with parchment paper, about 2" apart, because they can spread. Bake 8 minutes.

Again, use margarine or coconut oil for less spread.

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 4:43 pm
Using oil as fat rather than solid shortening of some kind for a cookie is generally going to produce a result different than what most people think of as the ideal drop chocolate chip cookie. That is because solid shortening (Crisco, butter or margarine) contributes to the "loft" and texture of the cookie as the cookies "sets" somewhat before the fat melts and liquifies. Creaming also helps with texture as the sugar creates air pockets in the solid shortening which help create the "loft" so don't cut short the creaming process whenever you bake.

Refrigerate the dough balls on the baking sheet before baking. Anything you can do to prolong the period before the fat completely melts helps the texture of the cookie.

I posted a very good chocolate chip cookie recipe on a separate thread. As I wrote on that thread, it is ironic that it is from the family that brought us the execrable coconut macaroon in the ubiquitous tin. Oy did I hate that cookie when I was a child. I think it is the Jewish version of the Xmas fruitcake which is also almost universally despised.

Here's the recipe for those looking for a classic recipe for Pesach

Pesach Chocolate Chip Cookies

Excerpt From: Michele Streit Heilbrun - Matzo: 35 Recipes for Passover and All Year Long

MAKES ABOUT 50 COOKIES

1 cup matzo cake meal
¼ cup matzo meal
¼ cup potato starch
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature or sub plant based butter
1 cup granulated sugar
⅔ cup (packed) light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups chocolate chips

1 Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2 In a small bowl, whisk together the matzo cake meal, matzo meal, potato starch, baking soda, and salt.

3 In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, 1 minute. Add the granulated and brown sugars and beat for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed with a rubber spatula. Add the vanilla, beating until combined, then add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each to incorporate. Reduce the speed to low and add the dry ingredients in three batches. Fold in the chocolate chips.

4 Using a 1-tablespoon measure, scoop the batter onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 to 3 inches between cookies—they will spread during baking. Bake one sheet at a time until the cookies are evenly golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the sheet after 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough, cooling the baking sheets between batches. Once the cookies have fully cooled, store them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics