Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Can I skip baking soda in choc chip cookies?

mandksima

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 2:02 pm
Last week I made the recipe for Choc chip cookies with oil that was from here and they were a great hit but I didn't care for the metally taste of the baking soda. Can I just leave it out or does it have to be replaced with something else???

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 3:31 pm
it's a leavening agent, you're messnig with the chemistryif you do.

why not just fully dissolve it before mixing?

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 3:33 pm
I dislike the taste of baking powder so I generally leave it out of the recipe. CCC's come out harder and crisper without it, which I like. (But don't leave it out of cakes!)

shopaholic

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 9:28 am
I HATE the taste of baking soda in Choc chip cookies so I make a recipe from the Spice & Spirit cookbook that doesn't have baking soda. They are a different taste & texture altogether but are delicious!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 9:49 am
Those are our favorite !

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 10:40 am
Baking is not like cooking. It's not a great idea to fool around with the recipe unless you are a very experienced baker. Better to find a recipe that doesn't have baking soda in it. Their are plenty.

mandksima

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 2:34 pm
Some of these replies came in after the cookies were made as I live in Israel! Well, this batch came out amazing and people asked for the recipe. The only thing I did different is put in 1/2 tsp instead of 1 tsp baking soda and I made sure to mix it really well in the flour. I didn't taste the metally taste this time and the chemistry didn't change. I underbaked them and they hardened on the cooling rack so they were very soft and yummy. Hmmm.. maybe I'll go see if there are any left...

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 7:18 pm
I was gonna ask if it was the pan you used ...

mandksima

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 2:19 am
I used the same baking sheet each time lined with baking paper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins