Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why was my unemployment money based on last years job!?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:21 pm
I’m working a lot more this year and thought I would get based on this. Did I do something wrong??

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:28 pm
I don't know if it state specific but in California it is an average of the previous completed four quarters - so if you file in October, November or December the would exclude the previous quarter (July, August and September) and use July through June of the previous year.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 10:10 pm
The state goes by the taxes you filed. If you haven't filed 2019 taxes yet, they will go by 2018 taxes that you submitted.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 10:25 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
The state goes by the taxes you filed. If you haven't filed 2019 taxes yet, they will go by 2018 taxes that you submitted.

I don't think that is correct because your unemployment is calculated on quarters for which you might not have paid taxes.

Payroll taxes are reported by your employer at the end of each quarter which is why there is the one quarter lag for the purpose of calculating unemployment since your employer wouldn't have necessarily reported payroll for the last quarter.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:33 pm
My last employer didn't do the paperwork so they went to a previous one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics