Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Magazine Serial Stories- Some questions for writers

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 8:31 pm
Have you ever had you serial story published in a magazine?
Did you have “pull” in the magazine or was it a blind submission?
Did you write the entire serial in advance before submitting or was it a sampler with a plot outline?
How involved was the magazine with your plot line? Did you need to make major changes?

I’ve begun writing a novel but I’m wondering if it would be more worth it to have it serialozed versus classic publishing.

If you can also give an idea about pay, please do!

Thank you!

amother
Black

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Have you ever had you serial story published in a magazine?
Did you have “pull” in the magazine or was it a blind submission?
Did you write the entire serial in advance before submitting or was it a sampler with a plot outline?
How involved was the magazine with your plot line? Did you need to make major changes?

I’ve begun writing a novel but I’m wondering if it would be more worth it to have it serialozed versus classic publishing.

If you can also give an idea about pay, please do!

Thank you!

Not a published author, but one of my friends is, and she says the only way to earn good money as a frum writer is to have a serial in a magazine. You only get a tiny percentage of the profit from books.

amother
Red

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:15 am
Yes. 2 serials at 2 different publications. I had previously published with both of them. For one of them, I had the basic outline and first few chapters before we started printing, but this was after I'd been writing for the publication for a long time.
The 2nd one I'd written probably half of the story, but I don't think it started running until I completed it. This was most likely because there was a queue.
Writing a book for a frum audience gives you very little money. If you serialize it before, you can make nice money, and the book sales are a bonus.
If you spend an insane amount of time on research and writing, you're not going to get nice money compared to the work you did, even if it is serialized.
If you're not on soferet yet, you should join. Its a google group for frum writers.
Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club