Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Balance Bike

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 9:36 am
My son is 4 1/2 and wants a bike But he is not good at pedaling and does not enjoy the struggle. I want to get him a balance bike so he can get comfortable riding a bigger bike without the pedals first.

Does anyone have one and can recommend a company? Amazon has too many to choose from and the local stores in my neighborhood don’t sell them. Also let me know if you and your child enjoy this bike.

sky

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 9:40 am
My daughter is 4 and just learned to ride a 2 wheeler.

I see bike riding a 2 step process
Peddling
Balance.

Peddling is important too and I try to get that figured out first with a tricycle or training wheels.

Balance - I take off training wheels and have them walk the bike. Then lift their feet. Eventually putting one foot on the peddle. It goes pretty fast. And no running after the kid holding on.

I use a regular bike for balancing just kid doesn't put feet on peddles.

I don’t think a balance bike alone would be fun for long term use.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 9:52 am
Balance bikes are great. After using a balance bike many kids can go straight to a two wheeler with no training wheels.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 9:58 am
The balance bikes advertise themselves As learning to transition straight to a 2 wheeler and skipping the training wheels. I saw 2 models that have an option to purchase a pedal kit once they are ready.

One thing, they all appear a little low to the ground but the reviews say it can go up to a 7 year old. Is that so?

avrahamama

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:01 am
Balance bikes are great. And most kids I know start off well with balance bikes. I don't have a link but make sure you get a nice light one. We have a heavy metal one and my son had to wait a year till he could handle it. I think there is a very popular and kinda expensive wooden one. But if you have a few kids using it it may be worth it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:07 am
This is my oldest so I don’t have experience with other bikes. Is a 12.5 lb bike considered too heavy?

avrahamama

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:32 am
I think it will be ok for your 4.5 yr old. The wooden ones are even lighter ... Around 9 pounds. But mine is around 13. This summer my 4.5 yr old can finally manage it and so can my 3.5 yr old.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 12:31 pm
I dont have a link but had great experience with a balance bike. Kid loved it and over time was able to balance the bike down the hill with feet up. Then we got a new bike with pedals and kid just petaled on it right away. Didnt have to teach how.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 1:57 pm
You can also take off the pedals from a regular bike if your handy, just an option.

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 2:25 pm
Get one that has an option to add pedals on so it can transition with them.
Or a 2 wheel pedal bike and remove the pedals ( some are removable, some aren't).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics