Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
What will you do if work opens but school stays closed
Previous  1  2

notshanarishona

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:32 am
My husband will work half a day and I will work half a day. Together we are able to bring in slightly higher income than if only one of us was working.
Happens to he we had this set up for a year because of my son’s health and it worked out relatively well. We also qualified for Medicaid (which I know not everyone approves of) but that is the equivalent of about $15-20 that health insurance would have cost us so we more or less are even.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:39 am
Elfrida wrote:
In the past, a fourteen year old would have been on the verge of entering the work force, rather than being regarded as not much more than a child, with another six to eight years of growing up ahead of him. Not a criticism, just a statement that the world has changed. Children used to be a lot more independent.

Things may have changed but a 14 year old can stay home all day by himself, even if it’s not ideal.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:40 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I have a similar problem. My boss is talking about everyone coming back to the office. My youngest is 11. I have high school kids at home but they're busy all day with their own classes and wont end up taking care of her.

Shes not home alone so I dont have an excuse for why I cant go back to work. But she really needs to have her mother, not just older siblings who will ignore her all day.

And my 11 year old cares for my 4 year old when I need to leave...

DVOM

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 7:10 am
1091 wrote:
My understanding from our hr person is that legally you can’t be forced to go back into the office before there us a vaccine. Not sure how that will play out where you work but just something to consider.

I'm finding these responses very surprising.

My HR pall at work said the same. What I've been told by my manager is that they don't want anyone physically back in the office until there's a vaccine, it opens themselves up to terrible litigation if someone gets sick. We were told to expect to work remotely for a looooong time.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 7:16 am
OP, watch this. It should help you figure out how to approach the situation with your job.
https://youtu.be/me1WZKj_1Fo

amother
Amber

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 9:05 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
And my 11 year old cares for my 4 year old when I need to leave...

I leave her home alone all the time. She comes home from school an hour and a half before I get home from work every day. But this might last for months. I cant leave her home alone every day for so long.

Its not that she can't take care of herself, she can, but she also needs a parent to be there for her. She only has an hour and a half of school daily by teleconference, how is she supposed to entertain herself for so many hours, for so many months?

amother
Gray

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 9:19 am
I am in the same situation. I work in private sector health care and we will be reopening our office soon. I have 4 kids ages 11-4 and no one to watch them. My husband and I both cant work from home and we will both be at work 10 hrs/day. I really hope camps open in the summer!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics