Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Cuomo Announced Day Camp Can Open!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 1:20 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Absolutely agree. Besides, as a Jew, I don't feel safe anywhere anymore. Keep those kids in and reintroduce the old fashioned summer fun entertainment of yesteryear. Nothing wrong with balloon fights, machanyim, and homemade carnivals of biting into apples floating in water or searching for pennies buried in a bowl of flour.

Ha! Just the right activity in these corona times!

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 1:26 pm
Cuomo closed schools for the summer. My autistic kid normally has 6 weeks of summer school. Can someone explain why a special school with 5 kids per class can't open but day camps with 15 kids per bunk could?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 1:29 pm
Cheiny wrote:
And since youth corps to pay counselors and staff was cancelled for the summer Let’s see who will work for free

If there aren't being trips, there will be more than enough money to pay the counselors.

elisheva25

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:04 pm
Not NyC

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:07 pm
avrahamama wrote:
That's not fair and that's not nice. Some precious children are depressed, anxious, scared, gaining weight, bored, lonely because they might be only child or oldest child with a gap or youngest child. Some precious children have needs that require them to go out and run around and be with others. Some parents aren't good at making playdates because they don't really have other mommy friends to call and set things up with. You don't know why anyone wants anything.

Everyone has a different vantage point and different priorities.

I don’t think it’s as much about the kids as it is about their mothers. Their mothers don’t want them home any more. Nothing new, same comments when they have off for snow days or too much Yom Tov vacation or too much summer days off

silverlining3

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:28 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
And I think anyone who’s jumping at the thought, not even knowing yet what precautions will be taken, or how safe it will be for their precious children, is the type of Mommy whose priorities might be very skewed.

Please stop!!! Forgin happiness!! Even its not exactly your way of thinking or reacting. EVERYONE has different priorities so no-one is skewed.

P.s. for all you know her kids are out and about mingling. So going to daycamp isn't so different.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:30 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I don’t think it’s as much about the kids as it is about their mothers. Their mothers don’t want them home any more. Nothing new, same comments when they have off for snow days or too much Yom Tov vacation or too much summer days off

How can we compare this???? I normally (and am guessing lots of other parents) LOVE having my kids home. We play with friends, go on lots of trips, go to the park and have a great time. Now we've been home in a fifth floor apt building for over 2 months. No friends, trips or park. Yes we made lots of great memories but I feel like I'm at the end of my rope now. (The answer isn't why have so many kids if I can't handle them, I handle them very well bh, but those are not normal circumstances. If people will only have kids if the can handle them during a time like this, I think many people would not have children).

In any event lots of people complain during normal times about kids having to much off because they need to work to support those kids, not bec they don't want to be home with them. And some people need "alone time" or are going through something it doesn't make them less of a parent bec they want school/camp to start and it's not fair to say the don't want to be home with their kids.

(not that you said that straight out , and maybe you didn't mean your whole post the way I took it - so I'm apologizing in advance, just in general I see threads on here every year saying things like that)

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:36 pm
Day camps, please behave! Or school might not open in September.. (look what's happening in israel)

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:54 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
Cuomo closed schools for the summer. My autistic kid normally has 6 weeks of summer school. Can someone explain why a special school with 5 kids per class can't open but day camps with 15 kids per bunk could?

My kid's school is calling it day camp this year! Whew, am I looking forward!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 2:59 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Absolutely agree. Besides, as a Jew, I don't feel safe anywhere anymore. Keep those kids in and reintroduce the old fashioned summer fun entertainment of yesteryear. Nothing wrong with balloon fights, machanyim, and homemade carnivals of biting into apples floating in water or searching for pennies buried in a bowl of flour.
the problem is none of that will prob be allowed. That is what they do at my kids camp already

If no ball allowed then no machanayim or basketball. No jumrope. No dodgeball. No baseball.

For sure no biting apples in the same tub. Germs! And not with a mask.
I think finding activities in the approved list is hard.

soap suds

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:08 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Does this include NYC which is behind other regions?

Yes.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:08 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
If there aren't being trips, there will be more than enough money to pay the counselors.

I think they will spend just as much money in order to have approved activities, maybe more. Fancy individual arts and crafts kits. Individual food decorating kits. No assemblies or large groups, so if they hire, say, a magician or puppet show, they will have to pay for several small performances.
Cheap activities, like contact sports or games like musical chairs, are out. So is setting up a carnival. Too many kids together. No face painting. No digging around in flour or sand for a prize that a bunch of kids already handled. Definitely no apple bobbing! Etc.

soap suds

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:09 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Exactly. My kids are not risking covid for 400$.
For how much would your risk it? If you really fear covid, they shouldn't do it for a million dollars, either!

soap suds

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:16 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
Not NyC

Source?
When Cuomo made the announcement he didn't say anything about NYC being excluded.

elisheva25

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:39 pm
soap suds wrote:
Source?
When Cuomo made the announcement he didn't say anything about NYC being excluded.

Yes I was wrong , NYC is included

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:41 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
How can we compare this???? I normally (and am guessing lots of other parents) LOVE having my kids home. We play with friends, go on lots of trips, go to the park and have a great time. Now we've been home in a fifth floor apt building for over 2 months. No friends, trips or park. Yes we made lots of great memories but I feel like I'm at the end of my rope now. (The answer isn't why have so many kids if I can't handle them, I handle them very well bh, but those are not normal circumstances. If people will only have kids if the can handle them during a time like this, I think many people would not have children).

In any event lots of people complain during normal times about kids having to much off because they need to work to support those kids, not bec they don't want to be home with them. And some people need "alone time" or are going through something it doesn't make them less of a parent bec they want school/camp to start and it's not fair to say the don't want to be home with their kids.

(not that you said that straight out , and maybe you didn't mean your whole post the way I took it - so I'm apologizing in advance, just in general I see threads on here every year saying things like that)

Why on earth haven't you been to the park?

People pretentd they've been quarantined, not allowed to leave their homes, for months. They haven't. Parks are open. Go out. Just socially distance.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:44 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

WADR, bobbing for apples, and having dozens of hands reaching into a bowl of flour are pretty much the antithesis of safe activities these days.

soap suds

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:46 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

People pretentd they've been quarantined, not allowed to leave their homes, for months. They haven't. Parks are open. Go out. Just socially distance.

There are no parks within walking distance of my home. And all playgrounds are closed.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:47 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Ummm, wait what? Parks are open? I was yesterday kicked out of a park by police officer! Mmmm maybe only the parks in the non Jewish community are open What

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 3:49 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Parks are not open near me - (closest one is at least 1/2hr/ 45 minute walk. We have plenty of playgrounds nearby but all are closed) and I'm unable to drive. We do go out in front of our building and the kids ride bikes and etc... but it's hard bec the area has lots of families and it's just about impossible for our kids to play without being near other kids. I've gotten more laxed about that more recently through, but till then unless I was able to get out all the kids very early or go out later like supper time, I couldn't go out with little kids and maintain sd so we had to stay inside.

Edta - I see the confusion - I wrote park in my original post instead of playground. Sorry. Although we used to go to parks too lots of times and take public transportation, but I now I rather avoid that.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics