Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is vaccine and antibodies the same

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:42 am
In other wards ppl that have antibodies will they still need to vaccinate
For example I had chicken pox so I don’t need th chicken pox vaccine.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:50 am
I read that at least one vaccine being tested causes a person's to develop more antibodies than most people do from getting sick with COVID. It was a couple of weeks ago, and I don't have a source.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:51 am
Also, I believe the trial was not on humans.

Success10

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:52 am
From what I've always understood, a vaccine is a dead or watered down version of the live virus. Once injected, it causes your body to produce it's own antibodies, giving you immunity for a set amount of time. For chickenpox, the antibodies provide basically a lifetime of protection (there are exceptions). Coronavirus antibodies might not offer that much immunity, and maybe even less than a year. They really just don't know yet.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Vaccine is a means to get your body to produce antibodies. (or sometimes to inject antibodies)
If you had the disease, normally, you should have antibodies and would not need the vaccine... except perhaps after a period of time, because some antibodies go away over time... or if the virus changes substantially, so that the current antibodies don't protect you... (as is the case with flu, but Coronavirus seems to mutate more slowly than the flu virus).

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 10:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Once we know more about coronavirus, we might be able to isolate different strains and develop a vaccine for all. Then you would want to get it in order not to contract it again.

renslet

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 10:06 am
Some vaccines work differently. Tetanus for example, if you are lucky enough to survive, does not give you antibodies for the future.
The vaccine, however, will protect one if they are ever afflicted

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 10:46 am
The question cannot be answered at this time. There is no coronavirus vaccine, so we don't know how it will work. More importantly, we don't know how the immunity created by antibodies works, given that it is a novel virus. It is entirely possible that having sufficient antibodies will give you lifetime immunity, obviating the need for a vaccine. It is entirely possible that it won't. It is possible that the vaccine would need to be administered annually. Or not.

silverlining3

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 12:36 pm
Regardless, it seems like once there will be a vaccine it'll be mandatory

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 1:42 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
Regardless, it seems like once there will be a vaccine it'll be mandatory

This is why I am asking
Why would it be mandatory if I have antibodies already present.
I don’t want to be the government’s ginea pig

Wouldn’t it be like giving the chicken pox vaccine to someone who already had chickenpox

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 9:42 am
Is it dangerous to get a vaccine if you already have antibodies
I’m not talking about covid per say

Let’s take chickenpox for example
Is it dangerous to get a chickenpox vaccine if you had chicken pox and your immunity DID NOT wear off

happy chick

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 9:49 am
A lot is still unknown. Do antibodies (thru getting the virus) give a person lifetime immunity, such as chicken pox, measles, mumps, etc? Or do antibodies wear off after a short time, such as with getting the flu?
If the latter, then a vaccine will need to be given every season, same as w the flu.

happy chick

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it dangerous to get a vaccine if you already have antibodies
I’m not talking about covid per say

Let’s take chickenpox for example
Is it dangerous to get a chickenpox vaccine if you had chicken pox and your immunity DID NOT wear off

As a side note, w vaccines that wear off, if the vaccine is administered again, it may not necessarily take. My measles immunity wore off, I've taken the vaccine and I'm still not immune.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 9:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is why I am asking

Wouldn’t it be like giving the chicken pox vaccine to someone who already had chickenpox

We can probably look to the policy during the measles outbreak last year. People needed to provide either proof of vaccination or prove immunity through bloodwork antibody levels.

However, we don't know yet how recent the antibody testing will need to be, because we don't know yet how long the antibodies last. Additionally, the antibody tests have had accuracy issues, so I wonder how they will deal with that.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 11:32 am
COVID aside

If a person has high immunity to a disease, due to having that disease, and is given a vaccine, is it dangerous.
What are the consequences to building too many antibodies
Can the person get the disease if he is given the vaccine because it’s too much

Supermom#1

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 11:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is why I am asking

oooh...this is entering into dangerous territory....(Why wouldn't you want to be the government's guinea pig? They only want the best for you! blah, blah, blah)

chanatron1000

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 11:44 am
There is a slight possibility that getting vaccinated may help prevent allergies.

cbsp

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 11:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
COVID aside

If a person has high immunity to a disease, due to having that disease, and is given a vaccine, is it dangerous.

Interesting question.

Would the vaccine build more antibodies in someone who already has antibodies? Wouldn't those antibodies already in the system cause the body to just fight the injected virus (as it would if exposed to an active case of whatever the disease is)?

I had a pretty rough case of chicken pox when I was 5ish. I did not test positive for chicken pox titers so I was given the shingles vaccine after my last kid was born. I never tested to see if I have the titers from the vaccine, though.

I've been worried that I wouldn't develop antibodies to COVID-19 even if I caught it...

And if they're not sure if antibodies are an indication of immunity how will a vaccine work? What

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 12:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
COVID aside

You can’t build too many antibodies. The existent antibodies would just fight off the vaccine if there are enough antibodies, otherwise they would make more. They may get cold symptoms from the body fighting the virus if they don’t have enough antibodies yet, but no worse than if they had no antibodies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics