Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
BP no more masks, Flatbush almost everyone wearing masks?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:59 am
Happens to be, there were videos going around of people being sent out of parks in Williamsburg, they were sent out because that's when the park closed for the day. The parks are now open till 6-6:30 and everyone gets sent out at that time.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:02 pm
OutofTown Girl wrote:
I want to add a third reason why I still wear a mask: because it's good for my kids' chinuch.

I was raised, and I try to raise my children, with the value of respecting authority.

I know I'll get flak for saying it, but I was frankly horrified to see the videos of the kids at the playgrounds in Williamsburg. Yes, I agree 100% that there was a double standard, that it was outrageous that while thousands are protesting with no SD, the police were busy shooing our poor kids out of the playgrounds. There is no excuse for this blatant discrimination. The reason I was horrified, though, has nothing to do with coronavirus, De Blasio, or the NYPD. It has to do with the parents. There were parents TAKING their kids to a playground that was closed! They were TEACHING their kids to flout the rules! What kind of chinuch is that??? Next time your child disagrees with a decision his rebbi makes, he'll see no reason why not to flout the rules again! Parents are supposed to be role models for their children. Every interaction I have when my children are watching, everywhere I go with them, I am mindful of how my speech and actions are affecting them, and what they are learning from my behavior. What are they doing to their children?!

In boro park and Im sure many other places too - Every yeshivah and some bais yaakovs are open in the building and they took the necessary measures what to do if they are discovered. Most shuls are open to capacity. Most stores are open undercover.
What do you think of that?

OutofTown Girl

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:17 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
In boro park and Im sure many other places too - Every yeshivah and some bais yaakovs are open in the building and they took the necessary measures what to do if they are discovered. Most shuls are open to capacity. Most stores are open undercover.

I don't know what to say.

I'm lucky that none of my kids are in those schools, so I don't have to make this hard call: do I send them, thereby teaching them to flout the rules, or not send them, thereby causing bitul Torah? My son's school is doing groups of 10 kids in a backyard, 6 feet apart, 3 times a week, and phone conferences for the other days. My girls' school, which doesn't have the bitul Torah concern, is still doing phone conferences. I'm glad I don't have to subject my children to this very confusing dichotomy, where their own teachers and principals are leading them in doing something that may not be legal. (Especially when some members of the hanhalah believe in what they're doing and the others don't but their hands are tied... So hard to be mechanech kids with all that going on.)

I'm happy to support frum stores and I've been doing plenty of that by phone orders and curbside pickup. DH's shul is open in accordance with the law.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:21 pm
All this following the laws to the T reminds me of this story.
A chassidish guy was backing out of a parking spot and lightly hit a litvish guys car and caused a tiny scratch. The chassidish guy was ready to give cash for the repair on the spot but the litvish guy was adamant about making a police report because "dina d'malchisa". Police arrived and asked both drivers for their license and registration. The litvish guys license was expired and he was arrested on the spot..... so much for dina d'malchisa.
Sometimes we need to use common sense.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

No Bais Yaakovs in BP are open.

soap suds

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:00 pm
OutofTown Girl wrote:
I don't know what to say.

I'm lucky that none of my kids are in those schools, so I don't have to make this hard call: do I send them, thereby teaching them to flout the rules, or not send them, thereby causing bitul Torah? My son's school is doing groups of 10 kids in a backyard, 6 feet apart, 3 times a week, and phone conferences for the other days. My girls' school, which doesn't have the bitul Torah concern, is still doing phone conferences. I'm glad I don't have to subject my children to this very confusing dichotomy, where their own teachers and principals are leading them in doing something that may not be legal. (Especially when some members of the hanhalah believe in what they're doing and the others don't but their hands are tied... So hard to be mechanech kids with all that going on.)

I'm happy to support frum stores and I've been doing plenty of that by phone orders and curbside pickup. DH's shul is open in accordance with the law.

The schools are all operating legally as day care. They notified DOH that they are open.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:04 pm
soap suds wrote:
The schools are all operating legally as day care. They notified DOH that they are open.

I know a high school in Boro park that opened. These were some of the rules:
No uniforms, no briefcases, dont come altogether, and if someone asks them where they are going/ what theyre doing there to say that theyre just picking up sheets/materials.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Chasidishe immune systems are stronger than non chasidishe.

And only black lives matter, the rest should go to h*ll.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 2:38 pm
Now we all have to announce that we have benefitted from white privelege and are ashamed of it! This is the government whose rules we have to follow!
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics