Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
I have two days to decide about camp?!
Previous  1  2

Supermom#1

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:36 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
OP I asked my pediatrician, who told me unless I really had no choice, not to send to daycamp. Reasons being, as nice as the guidelines are (and they really are. Many doctors think theyre too relaxed to provide real distancing), theres really no way to ensure that they are adhered to for the entire summer. Youre talking about kids. Playing with each other. Yes, theyre going to be indoors, within a foot of each other, no theyre not going to be washing their hands in between each activity. Being that my pediatrician isnt comfortable with this, we're not sending.

(We're in monsey)

wow...do you have alternate plans?

Supermom#1

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:38 pm
FUNMOM88 wrote:
I asked my pediatrician and he said unless someone is in high risk group .. There’s no reason not to send life has To move on !! We take risks every day .. we have to have Emunah if meant to get sick it can happen a million diff ways .. at this point it’s no longer a sakanah for healthy young adults and kids

good to hear a voice of reason

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:54 pm
Supermom#1 wrote:
wow...do you have alternate plans?
yeah, we'll figure it out one way or another. We both work, but we'll figure something out

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:04 pm
To the people who are sending to day camp:
Do you have elderly relatives who you want to be able to see? If you did, would that change your decision?
Disclaimer: I am totally not questioning or criticizing anyone's decision. I am just torn myself (like OP) and wondering if/how others are factoring that particular concern.

OP, a good place to start is asking you doctor about your family's particular situation.
I would also consider the point I mentioned above, as well as whether you have antibodies, whether your kids will anyway be socializing with others if they are not in camp, whether there are recent new cases in your area.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:08 pm
FUNMOM88 wrote:
.. at this point it’s no longer a sakanah for healthy young adults and kids

The scary thing is, so many people fall into the category of not perfectly healthy and more at risk....
Anyone with diabetes. I know plenty.
People with high blood pressure. So common!
Asthma. Common.
Anyone on an immune suppressing medication. Examples are steroids, certain meds for crohn's, collitis, rheumatoid and juvenile arthritis, lupus, heavy psoriasis and other autoimmune disorders.
Any overweight/obese adult. (Common!)
And of course, anyone on chemotherapy etc.

I personally know an otherwise healthy woman, young 40s, who had covid, got nice and sick but recovered BH. Yay. So to the world, she's fine, no problem. But she confided in me that she now has heart damage caused by covid, and they told her its likely permanent.

It's not as simple as saying its only a problem for the very few...I dont think thats really the case

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:20 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
To the people who are sending to day camp:
Do you have elderly relatives who you want to be able to see? If you did, would that change your decision?.
if the camps open then I will send

I live in a complex with no space to ourselves and at this point it’s too difficult to sd

We’re staying away from anyone elderly or high risk

In an alternate reality I’m sure I’d make a different decision

keym

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:47 pm
Questions I would ask the camp:
Who will be taking the temps? Is it going to be a 15 year old teenager turning kids away at the door or a confident 35 year old?

What kind of activities are they planning? Is it actually worth my hard earned money or should I just coordinate a round Robbin group with only a few steady families.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:54 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
if the camps open then I will send

I live in a complex with no space to ourselves and at this point it’s too difficult to sd

We’re staying away from anyone elderly or high risk

In an alternate reality I’m sure I’d make a different decision

By my question I didn't mean to question whether people are showing proper concern for protecting the elderly or high risk. I meant from your own perspective/preference-if sending you kids to camp means you can't go near your elderly relatives do you feel it is worth the tradeoff?

STMommy

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 2:16 pm
I like the idea of asking the doctor. When I really boil it down, at this point my concern is really totally medical, not social or emotional. My children have been doing as well as can be expected given that they're not in school. They are seeing their friends who live in my neighborhood in the afternoons and on shabbos at a social distance with all socializing happening outdoors. They have been seeing their grandparents with masks at a distance as well.
No one outside of my nuclear family has been in my home and my children have not been indoors in anyone else's home. They have not been in a store.
If we had to do activities with them over the summer, I would work very hard to see what is open and what I think is safe. But I think there are huge social advantages to camp as well.
No one in my household has had Covid and we have not strayed from being strict with the guidelines for the last 10 weeks. I'm not about to start being lax now. But if there is no reason for medical concern, because of the guidelines that were put in place, then I don't want to be paranoid either.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics