Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
How to cook a deckel roast?

bargainlover

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 8:07 am
It’s 3 lbs, pretty thin and huge. Thanks!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:05 am
My immediate reaction: First cut off the ends ;-D
For real: Take a big sheet of foil. Place one large onion, sliced (or more) on foil. Place deckel on top. Smear with ketchup, probably about 1/4 c. or so. Sprinkle with a few Tbsp. of onion soup mix. You can also add salt and pepper. Cover tightly. Place in oven (I've also made it in the crockpot) in a container in case gravy drips, at 350 for a few hours.
Here's what I do: Once cool, I separate and refrigerate the roast and the gravy. The next day I slice the roast think, skim the fat off the gravy then pour over the meat and freeze. I usually do it in a zipper bag. Or refrigerate in the pot you'll reheat in.

bargainlover

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:16 am
PinkFridge wrote:
My immediate reaction: First cut off the ends ;-D
For real: Take a big sheet of foil. Place one large onion, sliced (or more) on foil. Place deckel on top. Smear with ketchup, probably about 1/4 c. or so. Sprinkle with a few Tbsp. of onion soup mix. You can also add salt and pepper. Cover tightly. Place in oven (I've also made it in the crockpot) in a container in case gravy drips, at 350 for a few hours.
Here's what I do: Once cool, I separate and refrigerate the roast and the gravy. The next day I slice the roast think, skim the fat off the gravy then pour over the meat and freeze. I usually do it in a zipper bag. Or refrigerate in the pot you'll reheat in.

Thank you so much!

pause

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:22 am
I like to sear it and then bake with lots of liquid. Flavor depends on you; we don't go for sweet meat. Bake covered on 250 for 4 hours. Chill. Slice. Freeze till ready to use. Rewarm in its liquid. Delicious!

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:29 am
Cook as per PinkFridge, but instead of using onion soup mix as my mom does, just use a ton of onion powder and garlic powder. It is so much better for you and tastes almost the same.

bargainlover

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:06 pm
What should I do with all the fat that’s surrounding the meat? I serve it like that?

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 4:49 pm
No!
Trim it before you cook it.

(Put the fat in the garbage).

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 6:42 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
No!
Trim it before you cook it.

(Put the fat in the garbage).

Really? It's already a thin roast. The way I'd make it, the gravy wouldn't have the fat, and whoever eats it can choose to eat around it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics