Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
United States Executed Jewish Couple by Electric Chair -1953
1  2  3  Next

gardener7

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:33 pm
In the early 1950's, the US government claimed that this Jewish couple sold Atomic *secrets* to the Russians. They then hired a Jewish prosecutor (Roy Cohn) and a Jewish judge (Kauffman) to lead the trial against them. Cohn who was an advisor to the FBI (Hoover) and others in the administration pushed and pushed until he won the case and the Rosenbergs were murdered. Cohn later died of Aids and Kaufmann died of Pancreatic cancer.

Mothers

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:55 pm
It appears that he was likely guilty of spying, but she was likely innocent.

QueensMama

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:57 pm
This isn't new information; every US teen learns the story in American history class. Any specific reason you're bringing it up now?

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:57 pm
From what I read about the case, the wife Ethel was innocent. Ethel was arrested and charged to
pressure Julius into squealing on others. Julius refused so Ethel was executed along with Julius. This is how US Government forces people to plead guilty, testify against others. It is what US Government did to General Flynn.

There was a Rosenberg brother-in-law who also arrested and the Government threatened to arrest HIS wife as well. That brother-in-law caved and squealed and testified to whatever the US Government wanted him to say, so he and his wife were not executed.

Kind of like how the Spanish Inquisition got people to "confess". Yet some Imamother believe
if a person pled guilty that means they are really guilty. No, it means you want to protect your family.

#Happymom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:59 pm
No, I think I read in the zman thar they were actually innocent!! Years later, the proof came out. I think their son was instrumental in trying to clear his parents name

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:01 pm
I wonder why you posted this.

Yes, the case of Ethel and Julius Rosenberg was famous. But they weren't persecuted for being Jewish. It was Ethel's Jewish brother David Greenglass who turned them in. Though the execution was supposed to be held at 11 pm on a Friday (June 19, 1953), it was pushed forward so as not to happen on a shabbos. (The Rosenbergs didn't care about shabbos, but their lawyer thought the statement mattered.)

For many years, it was a standard belief of American leftists that the Rosenbergs were framed. In 2014, researchers examining the archives of the former Soviet Union found records showing that the Russians had indeed recruited the Rosenbergs and received information about nuclear power from them.

It's a sad story all around.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:57 pm
OP, as others have said, this is common knowledge. Why bring this up at all?

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 11:34 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
From what I read about the case, the wife Ethel was innocent. Ethel was arrested and charged to
pressure Julius into squealing on others. Julius refused so Ethel was executed along with Julius. This is how US Government forces people to plead guilty, testify against others. It is what US Government did to General Flynn.

There was a Rosenberg brother-in-law who also arrested and the Government threatened to arrest HIS wife as well. That brother-in-law caved and squealed and testified to whatever the US Government wanted him to say, so he and his wife were not executed.

Kind of like how the Spanish Inquisition got people to "confess". Yet some Imamother believe
if a person pled guilty that means they are really guilty. No, it means you want to protect your family.

So why do you go on living in this country?

I also think that the US justice system often denies justice instead of respecting justice.
I am particularly shocked that the penalty with a plea bargain can bei 1/10 or less of what it would be with a trial... They should limit the "discount" for plea bargains to 10% oder 20%.

Also most civilised countries abolished the death penalty.

Also most civilised countries do not add up penalties, while the USA send people to prisonfor 100 years for non-violent crimes...

The principle "Three strikes - you're out" is even more shocking...

And all this results in overcrowding of prisons...

Most civilised countries try to focus on rehabilitation in prison...

But in most your posts you sound like an ardent defender of the USA and the Republicans, who primarily push this kind of justice system...

moonstone

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:05 am
gardener7 wrote:
In the early 1950's, the US government claimed that this Jewish couple sold Atomic *secrets* to the Russians. They then hired a Jewish prosecutor (Roy Cohn) and a Jewish judge (Kauffman) to lead the trial against them. Cohn who was an advisor to the FBI (Hoover) and others in the administration pushed and pushed until he won the case and the Rosenbergs were murdered. Cohn later died of Aids and Kaufmann died of Pancreatic cancer.

The Rosenbergs weren't murdered, they were legally executed.

I hope you're not implying that the prosecutor and judge died of terrible diseases as punishment for trying and winning a case that culminated in Jews being executed.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:49 am
I learned about this in 7th grade. Felt so sorry for them.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:05 am
Stephen Dubner (Turbulent Souls, Freakonomics) has a Greenglass connection. His mother was a Greenglass, IIRC a sister.

cbsp

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:25 am
Rabbi Ron Yitzchok Eisenman, a prominent Rov in Passaic, gave a shiur about this topic Tisha b'Av 5778

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaLgYgOMLM

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:48 am
Ora in town wrote:
So why do you go on living in this country?

I also think that the US justice system often denies justice instead of respecting justice.
I am particularly shocked that the penalty with a plea bargain can bei 1/10 or less of what it would be with a trial... They should limit the "discount" for plea bargains to 10% oder 20%.

Also most civilised countries abolished the death penalty.

Also most civilised countries do not add up penalties, while the USA send people to prisonfor 100 years for non-violent crimes...

The principle "Three strikes - you're out" is even more shocking...

And all this results in overcrowding of prisons...

Most civilised countries try to focus on rehabilitation in prison...

But in most your posts you sound like an ardent defender of the USA and the Republicans, who primarily push this kind of justice system...

I don't agree with the Three Strikes Law.

In general I am for strict punishment for VIOLENT CRIMES including robbery and burglary and
lenient punishment (fines, probation) for low level White Collar Crimes - especially first offenders.

[Political comment removed - mod]

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:05 am
#BestBubby wrote:
I don't agree with the Three Strikes Law.

In general I am for strict punishment for VIOLENT CRIMES including robbery and burglary and
lenient punishment (fines, probation) for low level White Collar Crimes - especially first offenders.

[Political comment removed - mod]

Burglary isn't a violent crime. Burglary is typically defined as the unlawful entry into almost any structure (not just a home or business) with the intent to commit any crime inside (not just theft/larceny). Robbery, OTOH, is the action of taking property unlawfully from a person or place by force or threat of force.

White collar crime is also usually stealing, albeit by a different means. So why should the punishment be more lenient?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:02 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Burglary isn't a violent crime. Burglary is typically defined as the unlawful entry into almost any structure (not just a home or business) with the intent to commit any crime inside (not just theft/larceny). Robbery, OTOH, is the action of taking property unlawfully from a person or place by force or threat of force.

White collar crime is also usually stealing, albeit by a different means. So why should the punishment be more lenient?

When someone breaks into a person's home or property with intent to steal, the burglar is
prepared to use violence. People have been murdered when walking into their homes/business where a burglary was taking place.

White collar criminals do not commit violence. If this was ORGANIZED crime or repeat offenders should get strict sentence but not a first time offender. I am thinking about people who did tax evasion, welfare fraud, insurance fraud - these are not people who are danger to others but
gave into temptation to cheat.

gardener7

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:41 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I wonder why you posted this.

I posted it because I just watched the documentary on Roy Cohn and could not believe what I was seeing and hearing about him and how he was vehement, no make that OBSESSED, with charging these Jewish people, his people (he himself was a self-despising Jew) with a crime they were innocent of. I just couldn't fathom this. I also watched their funeral and their parents at their gravesites. Also in the documentary was footage of the protests that were going on. What happened to the Rosenbergs was quickly dropped and pretty much nobody ever talks about it now except through mentioned Cohn's involvement. I want to bring to the attention of the readers here who may have never even heard of this martyred couple. Why isn't their memory being kept alive? It should. Their blood was spilled for political reasons. Jewish blood. And if it happened once, trust - it could very well happen again. Jonathan Pollard was the lite version.

gardener7

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:44 pm
cbsp wrote:
Rabbi Ron Yitzchok Eisenman, a prominent Rov in Passaic, gave a shiur about this topic Tisha b'Av 5778

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaLgYgOMLM

I will bli neder watch it later. Thank you for posting. B"H we need to keep their memory in consciousness. If the media lies today, what does anyone think was happening back then?

gardener7

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:47 pm
moonstone wrote:
The Rosenbergs weren't murdered, they were legally executed.

You're going to have to prove they were guilty with that assertion. You cannot. According to Halacha - they were murdered. End of discussion.

gardener7

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:02 pm
QueensMama wrote:
This isn't new information; every US teen learns the story in American history class. Any specific reason you're bringing it up now?

If anyone knows about it today it's either Jews who *feel sorry* about the case or Anti-Semites who use it as a ruse to continue hating Jews. It would be interesting to read any textbook by which *teens* are taught about this case and how it is presented to them. It's also interesting to note that no other *spy* throughout US history was executed in this way.

From *Secrecy and Power* by Richard Grid Powers 2020:

*Hoover's anti-Communist allies were now even more willing than he to equate communism with treason and to blame disasters overseas on traitors at home.*

The full excerpt and more can be read here - https://tinyurl.com/y8dw68tw

The light begins to shine on this case. Question is, will the textbooks now be re-written.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:02 pm
gardener7 wrote:
I posted it because I just watched the documentary on Roy Cohn and could not believe what I was seeing and hearing about him and how he was vehement, no make that OBSESSED, with charging these Jewish people, his people (he himself was a self-despising Jew) with a crime they were innocent of. I just couldn't fathom this. I also watched their funeral and their parents at their gravesites. Also in the documentary was footage of the protests that were going on. What happened to the Rosenbergs was quickly dropped and pretty much nobody ever talks about it now except through mentioned Cohn's involvement. I want to bring to the attention of the readers here who may have never even heard of this martyred couple. Why isn't their memory being kept alive? It should. Their blood was spilled for political reasons. Jewish blood. And if it happened once, trust - it could very well happen again. Jonathan Pollard was the lite version.

Roy Cohn was a bad person, and tormented by his own secrets. None of that changes the fact that the Rosenbergs gave secret information to the Soviet Union at the height of the cold war. That's treason.

What happened to the Rosenbergs was not quickly dropped. They were a cause celebre for a generation. Your ignorance of history doesn't mean that no one has heard of the case.

I don't support the death penalty, but that's beside the point. The Rosenbergs weren't martyrs. They tried to endanger the United States, and they were caught.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics