Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Teaching a 2 year old colors

proudmom

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 10:26 am
My son is 2 1/2 years old and he still cant get his colors right. I am trying really hard to teach it to him. My husband thinks he might be color blind but I dont think it is possible because he can match the colors. Is there an easy way to teach it to him?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 10:40 pm
as a teacher, here's my tips/opinion...
Don't worry too much at this point - he is still quite young!
You can do a sorting activity -- without naming colors - to see if he can see the difference. For example, put 3 colors of colored paper on the table and have him sort the toys onto the correct color. I'm not sure if it's too advanced for him, but if you start it, he may get it. You can name the colors as you go along...with time, he is sure to get it!
hatzlocha!
(ps when I was working with 2 yr olds I often saw a child saying a color was "green" and we were so excited he got a color...then we realized that every crayon we held up was green to him..!!! it just takes time)

roza

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 11:16 pm
what colors do you teach him now?

micki

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 10:43 am
have his siblings teach him.

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 12:11 pm
we started teaching our dd w/ a method similar to brachad's. she had this kitchen set. 4 cups, 4 plates, and 4 bowls. 1 red, 1 blue, 1 green, and 1 yellow. my dh would set out the 4 plates, and then one at a time hand a cup to my dd and see if she could match the cup to the corresponding color plate. if she got it right, we would say "YAY!! HOORAY!! that's right!!" if she got it wrong, we would say "Nooooo!!" in a very funny, laughing way (so she's not upset that she's wrong) and have her try again till she got it.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 11:45 pm
I work in special ed. and the best equipment to teach a child colors is s/thign called counting bears.
It's a set of 6 plates (red, blue, green, orange, purple, yellow) and 3 sizes bears in these 6 colors.
Start out with 1 plate, take a red bear and put it in the red plate.
then if he gets it, see if he can differentiate between 2 colors, put out the red plate and the blue one and give one bear to him and tell him to put it in the same color plate, and when he does, repeat a few times, good, that's blue, then you can ask him to show you blue.
To advance your lesson a bit, ask him to show you other things that are blue, you first show him a few things that are blue, then ask him to show you.
Hopefully he will learn quickly.

proudmom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 7:50 am
where do I get it?

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 6:56 pm
I'll make a search for it online and PM you with a link.

proudmom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 7:12 pm
thank you very much!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics