Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Teen with Celiac do we need a nutritionist

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 12:17 pm
My teen it’s the same foods everyday. Won’t try anything new. All gluten free. Breakfast is chex and milk, munch macaroni and cottage cheese and supper is what I make sometimes she makes pizza, sometimes some chicken or shrimp shnitzel. She eats apples and sucks oranges but won’t swallow them. I’m worried she’s not getting enough nutrients. She won’t take vitamins ... can anyone recommend a teenage friendly nutritionist or guide me on where else to go and help her with her food Intake and eating ? I’m located in Brooklyn area

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 12:30 pm
All fruits, vegetables, Fish, meat and dairy are great. The GF breads need an acquired taste, so we rely on rice cakes.
Is she willing to cook? If you get a GF cookbook, will she experiment with or without you?
(DD is 4 and was only diagnosed last month...)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:06 pm
She won’t cook, won’t experiment she has no interest in trying anything but she walks around starved and says she has nothing to eat and meanwhile she doesn’t want anything . I barely get her to eat protein or fruits and vegetables. Maybe it’s my issue I haveto be creative and come up with things she will like but it’s so hard dealing with everything and cooking different suppers for each different kid...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:07 pm
My teen it’s the same foods everyday. Won’t try anything new. All gluten free. Breakfast is chex and milk, munch macaroni and cottage cheese and supper is what I make sometimes she makes pizza, sometimes some chicken or shrimp shnitzel. She eats apples and sucks oranges but won’t swallow them. I’m worried she’s not getting enough nutrients. She won’t take vitamins ... can anyone recommend a teenage friendly nutritionist or guide me on where else to go and help her with her food Intake and eating ? I’m located in Brooklyn area[/quote]

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:08 pm
Sorry double post don’t know what happened

trixx

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:18 pm
Not helpful but GF foods are terrible. Full of sugar (often the first ingredient) and empty carbs. She has to literally change her taste buds for veggies or protein. Also if she is a teen why cant she be involved in preparing or cooking her own food, might also motivate her

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:31 pm
Plenty of non celiac kids eat the same way, and the same methods work to expand their menu items as anyone 2 yo + who is a picky eater. If you dont want to pay for a nutritionist you can figure it out by yourself, but you have to see where she is willing to get adventurous. I hide riced cauliflower in pasta and cheese. Cheese quiches come with some vegetable inside. Fruit smoothies have fruit. Pancakes, muffins can hide extra ingredients. Eggs, toast, are other breakfast foods.

teachkids

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:55 pm
It sounds like the issue has nothing to do with celiac but with awful eating habits, maybe with a sensory piece (the not eating oranges) or beginnings of an eating disorder.
Nutritionist isn't a bad idea if you can afford it and she'll cooperate.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 4:13 am
You’re right I think it’s more of an eating issue than celiac.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 4:32 am
Dd11 had celiac, and I'm dealing with the same issue, down to the rice chex and mac n cheese menu.

In our case, I know there's a sensory component to this.

I try to make her smoothies 2-3 times a week. No secret spinach inside, and I sweeten with sugar... but I'm glad she's consuming strawberries, mangoes, blueberries...

Good luck

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 4:43 am
Please, see a registered dietitian, not a nutritionist. Anybody can hang a shingle and called them selves and nutritionist. Register dietitian is a protected title which requires actual credentials and oversight. They are trained to help with what your daughter needs.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:31 am
It’s not the celiac per se, but celiac means there’s autoimmunity and gut permeability going on, and that may be causing the food restrictions.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:41 am
watergirl wrote:
Please, see a registered dietitian, not a nutritionist. Anybody can hang a shingle and called them selves and nutritionist. Register dietitian is a protected title which requires actual credentials and oversight. They are trained to help with what your daughter needs.

I was just about to post this!
Thank you watergirl!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 11 2020, 7:37 pm
Burlywood what can I do for that gut issue and how can that be tested

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jul 11 2020, 7:47 pm
I have celiac. Celiac means she’s more susceptible to malnutrition than other people. Depending on the age she needs education and acceptance of the condition. She needs to learn to manage her health. She won’t be able to safely have independence if she doesn’t. It doesn't sound like she’s interested in cooperating with expanding her diet. You could go with only making one meal for everyone and eat or you must not be hungry style. participating in the planning and preparing Is a common suggestion for picky eaters.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics