Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen tips/hacks - funny edition
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 3:37 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
When you make hard boiled eggs, it's a good idea to set a timer or stay in the kitchen. (If you go in another room and get involved with Imamother, for example, and forget about the eggs, don't be surprised if you eventually hear something that sounds like gun shots. Also, cleaning egg off the ceiling is not fun).

This reminds me, don't try to hard-boil eggs in the microwave. Even if they don't explode in the microwave, they'll explode on your face/mouth at first bite, and the heat is painful.

Also, potatoes do not successfully boil in the hot cycle in the washing machine. Don't ask me how I know this, but just trust me.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 4:13 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Can we start a lighthearted thread?

Here’s a tip:

Whatever you do, do not rub an itchy eye with fingertips covered in cayenne pepper powder.
The stuff burns.

And never cut up jalapeno peppers without wearing gloves! OMG! My hand burned for hours afterwards! I couldnt sleep, was busy googling all types of home remedies (that didnt work!)

Quote:
When boiling water for chicken soup, don't fill the pot with water till the top, to avoid flooding when dropping in the chicken and vegetables!

Also never add the salt to a rapidly bubbling full pot of chicken soup. Unless you want to watch a volcano!

silverlining3

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 4:32 am
-In these beautiful summer weathers, good idea to bring in the delivered grocery boxes from the st, vs waiting for your husband to do it. Frankly, it avoids stuff from getting spoiled.

-Kids shoes HAVE feet. If you don't make sure your kids put their shoes where it belongs, before going to bed, your morning might turn into a massive search, with the child echoing behind you, I don't know where it is, I put it by the bedside........!!!

-Just by putting clothing in the washing machine, or switching clothing from the washer to dryer, doesn't magically get the things inside washed or dried. Pressing the start button (some machine twice) actually does.

-I'm not sure how I or you might know this, but putting wet towels or shmattas in the hamper GETS THINGS WET! To add, sometimes a child does it and you only realize once you can't figure why your bathroom has this interesting yummy smell.

-Remember to refill the percolator and not delay. I don't think you want a nearly empty one plugged in.

When I'll think of more I'll share more.

soap suds

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:21 am
This one is curtesy of my son: Sleeping with your socks on can save you quite a bit of time in the morning, since you didn’t take it off “how would the sock know that a new day began?” So no need to change. (Please don’t ask me to explain the logic here.”
Besides, think of how much less laundry you’ll have to wash after the 9 days!

MiriFr

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:35 am
Boil a few gallons of water for pasta and freeze for later use

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:41 am
If your potatoes are jammed in the food processor, it is surely a good idea to push them down with your bare fingers. It gives your kugel a fleishig kick!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
When your kids make pancakes using flour from the fancy oxo container placing it in the middle of a butter, milk mess, you might consider it milchig afterwards. (I learned this from a friend)

If your child opens the dryer to get something mid cycle and you come hours later...your clothes might be damp and smelly.

If you come home tired after a long day of work check your bags before you go to sleep. Better to find the bottle of milk that you bought for breakfast now than all spoiled in the morning.

If you want to be able to answer the phone (not cell, silly). Then look behind the couch, in the desk drawer, under the bed, behind the toilet for all the units and let them rest on their base.

A great tip for keeping the house smelling nice...is taking out the garbage! So simple:)

Who buys milk these days?!? LOL

dankbar

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:06 am
Bubby6 wrote:
When adding just a little more flour to a challah dough, put the lid on the mixer bowl before turning mixer back on. Inconvenient but worth while.

Also when you do liquid ingredients first, make sure to close lid before putting on.

If you have an energy saving fridge/freezer make sure not to place items you don't want frozen in the back. This week we had frozen potato salad! Anyone?

In order to open a jar, lift lid with spoon first, to release air.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:10 am
iyar wrote:
Turn the mixer off before you lick the beaters!

Read recently, A good mom let’s you lick the beaters, a great mom shuts them off first!! LOL

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:10 am
OMgoodness, I'm reading this too fast to like. Can I just say that likes probably mean, I did it too?
Here's mine, done as a teenager, visiting my aunt, who I assumed did everything just like my mother. Eggs in the door egg compartment (remember those ridiculous egg cups on the door?) were also hard-boiled, weren't they? And of course we crack our hard-boiled eggs against the refrigerator door.

(Years later I learned stuff like salt to clean up eggs on the floor. And speaking of eggs, if a shell falls into a batter, scoop it up with another piece of eggshell. But maybe this isn't the thread for that.)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:15 am
yo'ma wrote:
Read recently, A good mom let’s you lick the beaters, a great mom shuts them off first!! LOL

Thanks! So much!! Best laugh today. (Along with that oldie but goodie, freezing pre-boiled water for future pasta.)

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:22 am
[quote="amother [ Green ]"]Don’t try to lift a container (say pickles or hot peppers) by the cover, while thinking “I hope it’s closed.” If your thinking that it probably isn’t. Trust me! Can't Believe It[/quote
I know someone who did that with ez off paste that her help closed! She burned her eyes severely r"l!!

Surrendered

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:34 am
When you have a leftover cup of smoothy, dont put it on the refrigerator door. You might forget you put it there nd then open the refrigerator door quickly...

When you strain the noodles after cooking, spill the water instead of the noodles.

Last edited by Surrendered on Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Surrendered

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:37 am
when buying mentos to treat a child, never buy coke the same time.
I had a volcano and an entire sticky kitchen to clean off...
Of course they said they will clean it up, never trust kids.

Last edited by Surrendered on Mon, Jul 27 2020, 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:40 am
Don't turn your back while baking with a toddler, lest your cookies get all kinds of interesting ingredients added!
On second thought.... maybe having a clear, clean table top would help too...

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:47 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Make sure the hand blender is unplugged before you clean it. I was washing the blade with my finger under the water while I pressed the ON button with my other hand .... we wanted techina for Shabbos not blended finger.

this was me! worst day of my life!

Surrendered

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:47 am
Kids smell nosh, and will find it wherever you hide it.

Best hiding place to keep nosh/goodies: On a door handle. Or right on the kitchen floor! Noone will bother picking it up or packing it away.

Ice cream or ices: wrap it in a bag or in a pan and write on "Chicken". Or haloptches. Or kishka.

Last edited by Surrendered on Mon, Jul 27 2020, 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

rachel6543

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:50 am
Don’t ever mix up cinnamon and cumin. Cumin in cookies = yuck!!!!!

Same for salt & sugar. Do not put salt in your morning coffee.

Success10

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:28 pm
Oil clogs your drains! So if you've just deep fried a big ol' batch of french fries, don't pour the oil down the drain. Pour the oil into a plastic bag, knot, and then put into another bag, knot and throw in the trash. Extra credit if you let the boiling oil cool BEFORE you pour into the plastic bag.

Bubby6

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:40 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Who buys milk these days?!? LOL

Lol
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen