Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby led weaning
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:55 am
avrahamama wrote:
Feed the baby. After she's somewhat satisfied then you can let her try to feed herself. Maybe she's anxious to eat and then has trouble feeding herself.

I don't know what the "rules" are. I'd assume the rules are make sure baby eats and it's a satisfying and positive experience.

The rules are more about baby learning to do it alone and regulate their own food. Food is fun before one so the goal is not about the actual food. But since my baby would like the food in her mouth it's been a little confusing for me.

2gether

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 3:42 am
Why not a balance? real food with pieces that baby can grasp, chew and swallow and on the other hand baby food for a filling nutritious meal

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 6:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Eating corn off the cob is super popular in baby led weaning, no one ever discusses it being a choking hazard. Why do you say it is?

https://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/......html

ggdm

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 6:54 am
Do whatever works! Forget "rules".

We did a combination of a bit breastfeeding (to get that first BIIIIG hunger away, to be calm enough to actually eat), feeding purree (for the rest of the real hunger) and then playing with food to grab whenever and whatever he wanted. I gave small pieces of fruit or veggie or those baby cookies that taste like nothing, but are easy to hold. He learned to chew very well and enjoyed it. He never was interested in holding a spoon alone - too slow! He only became interested to eat alone in daycare (at age about 14 months!). But then he mastered it real quick.

Really, they will learn when they want and are ready. No rush. Feed purree or put food in the mouth if the child is too frustrated and wants the food. At some point it will click and she learns by herself.

cuffs

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:36 am
It's a struggle in the beginning but they get the hang of it. I almost gave up, I do however put a few pieces in my baby's mouth if he's struggling

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
FYI - Corn is a choking hazard.

Yes, whole corn kernels are a choking hazard. Corn on the cob is not.

gingie37

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Eating corn off the cob is super popular in baby led weaning, no one ever discusses it being a choking hazard. Why do you say it is?

Under 12 months baby led weaning says to use a knife to slice the kernels in half, to get rid of the roundish shape. They do not advocate giving plain corn kernels to babies until after 12 months.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:32 am
Exactly what others said. I always started solids with purées (and yes it’s more annoying to sit there and spoon feed but that’s life) and slowly introduced finger foods. The baby needs a pincer grasp before they can pick up food well. Once they get good at finger foods they are reluctant to be spoon fed anymore IME.

Frumme

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My concerns I guess are does doing a half way method undo all that. Will she never learn to eat if I'm helping. Seems everyone says that it's ok to help her and let her try at the same time. That's all I needed to hear.

Hey-- half way is still better than nothing. There are many skills to learn when it comes to eating. Chewing and swallowing are only two parts of it. Learning how to grasp/spoon/fork food and bring it to the mouth are another two parts.

Right now, it seems that your baby wants to focus on the chewing and swallowing aspect of eating. Help her by putting real food into her mouth (as she needs to experience different textures and firmness levels to develop the muscles etc in the mouth) like pieces of omelets, egg muffins, sliced berries, toast, tuna salad, short pasta, etc etc.

In the meantime, try to give her toys that will help with her grasping skill. Blocks, rings, balls, etc. Try items or toys of all shapes and sizes (not too small of course). Maybe even "show" her that she can grab one item with both hands. This will help her gain confidence.

Later on, in maybe a week, you can let her try grabbing and placing food into her mouth again and see how she does.

esther7

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My concerns I guess are does doing a half way method undo all that. Will she never learn to eat if I'm helping. Seems everyone says that it's ok to help her and let her try at the same time. That's all I needed to hear.

Yes, I did a combination of spoon feeding and baby led with both of my kids. The spoon feeding didn't hold them back from feeding themselves well at all. With my current baby, each meal is different. Sometimes she eats the finger food really nicely, and isn't interested in me feeding her with a spoon. Other times she barely touches the finger food and will eat a whole bowl of puree (though she like to hold the spoon herself so it does get messy Wink and at times I help her along and feed her the finger foods. You should be fine to do a combination of it all and still have a baby who eats by herself eventually.
As other posters said, don't focus too much on the 'rules'. To me, baby led means let baby lead-follow what your baby is telling you.

snowflake1

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:32 pm
I usually do a combination of both
I hate baby purées because they get everywhere.
Maybe you can put some on her tray and feed her some. She will probably try to put some to her mouth as you feed her. But this way, she will not get frustrated with the whole process

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The rules are more about baby learning to do it alone and regulate their own food. Food is fun before one so the goal is not about the actual food. But since my baby would like the food in her mouth it's been a little confusing for me.

Ah. So it's more of the sensory experience of it?

My most recent baby grabbed my pb&j sandwich out of my hand and went to town. I hadn't fed him any food yet. So he definitely "led" that one.

In any case. I think a lot of these concepts are nice in theory. But don't fit every baby and mommy. I wish instead of rules they called it suggestions and then the parent wouldn't have to feel so committed.

I put food in front of my baby and I feed him because I enjoy the fun of it. When he's done he definitely regulates the experience. He will toss that food right back at me and try to stand in the high chair. lol

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:41 pm
Have you tried bamba? I think most babies can figure out how to eat it without much help.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics