Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Did I break my fast?? Bite plate

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:55 am
I must wear a bite plate to sleep, otherwise I wake up with my teeth shorter, in funny positions- I grind them and it's not good when I don't wear it.
Last night I went to put in my bite plate- I quickly rinsed it off and stuck it in my mouth and realized it was still a drop wet and may have gotten a drop or two of water in my mouth- I spit out whatever I could and took it out and dried it well but I felt horribly guilty the whole night. I also felt myself swallowing a lot- could be because I drank a lot of water yesterday. But probably because saliva went into the bite plate and then it felt like a lot of water. Sorry TMI. I'm really nervous.

Thoughts?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:01 am
Don't worry!
Though we don't normally fast with "shiurim" on Tisha B'av, if you by mistake got less than a shiur in yout mouth you are still fasting! A shiur is a little less than 1 oz which is a bit less than a "shnapps cup" full. I'm sure you didn't get even a 1/4 of that amount!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:04 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Don't worry!
Though we don't normally fast with "shiurim" on Tisha B'av, if you by mistake got less than a shiur in yout mouth you are still fasting! A shiur is a little less than 1 oz which is a bit less than a "shnapps cup" full. I'm sure you didn't get even a 1/4 of that amount!

thank you! What does that mean we don't normally fast with shiurim on 9 Av?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:06 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Don't worry!

it definitely wasn't an ounce- maybe a dot or two.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:07 am
On Yom Kippur if someone can’t fast , they do shiurim every 8 -9 minutes. On Tisha Beav if someone is that sick that they need it then they typically are told not to fast. However drinking a small bit of water is not considered breaking your fast. For example, I am allowed a small bit of water to swallow medically necessary medicine.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you! What does that mean we don't normally fast with shiurim on 9 Av?

The concept of shiurim- having minimal amounts of food and/drink so that it is still considered fasting- is not generally a concept used on Tisha B’Av, only on Yom Kippur. Some people are advised to use shiurim on Tisha B’Av as well, but it’s more common on Yom Kippur.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:10 am
I really feel terrible I shouldn't have worn it and taken a chance of even getting a drop of water in my mouth

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really feel terrible I shouldn't have worn it and taken a chance of even getting a drop of water in my mouth

Stop feeling bad! It's the yetzer hora trying to bring you down!

You are still 100% fasting. If you hadn't worn it you may have ground your teeth causing yourself discomfort that would definitely affect your Tisha B'av. You are ok.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:32 am
A drop of water isn’t counted as a drink Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:34 am
Thank you so much everyone. Yes, I have a big yetzer hora always trying to depress me especially in religious matters.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:34 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
A drop of water isn’t counted as a drink Smile

A drop of water isn’t even considered drinking on Yom Kippur, that’s why shiurim are ok.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:05 am
Hey OP, lemme one up you:
One tisha b'av afternoon, I had just finished putting a brownie cake in the oven and I had some batter on my finger and I licked it.... I felt extremely guilty that I broke my fast but was told not to worry. It was literally just a drop and not like a whole spoonful that I would've enjoyed.
You're fine OP. The biteplate is something you need. And yes, the yetzer horah works overtime.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 4:42 pm
No, you did not break your fast Smile. You can breathe easily.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note