Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
OXI Clean stain?!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 5:02 pm
I got a little blood on a white sheet.
I sprayed to with oxi it came out but now only the stain is white. All around is yellow!
I tried so many different methods and it's still yellow help!

I soaked it in vinegar and baking soda etc.

I should really just pm @ramom because I know she'll have a good solution!

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 5:57 pm
For future reference:

1. when you get blood on fabric, soak it immediately in COLD water. Heat "cooks" the stain in.
2. if it's a tiny spot and you can't soak the fabric right away, dab some saliva on it. Saliva contains enzymes that help break down food and can prevent a blood spot from setting.
3. blood is a protein stain. Enzyme presoaks, if you can find any, are intended for this kind of stain and actually digest the protein.
4. if you don't have enzyme presoak, try a paste of meat tenderizer and water that you leave on for a few hours. meat tenderizer also breaks down protein.
5. wash the item again in COLD water. `

as a last resort, dab the stained part with diluted bleach on a cotton swab or old toothbrush. Dab dab dab until the stain fades and rinse immediately in lots of cold water. OK,I admit I would probably use straight bleach on a sheet because I lack patience to dab dab dab but I would rinse like mad so the bleach doesn't eat a hole in the fabric. Do try first on a hidden spot to make sure the bleach doesn't make the fabric turn yellow. If it's pure cotton it won't, but if it's part synthetic it might.

You can also try straight hydrogen peroxide.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 6:10 pm
Blood comes out by just spraying it with Windex (blood breaks down from hydrogen peroxide but the mix of hydrogen peroxide and other things in the windex seems to do a faster job), and then washing in the washing machine.
You can still try it now, but it sounds like the blood already turned a different color/composition
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:06 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Blood comes out by just spraying it with Windex (blood breaks down from hydrogen peroxide but the mix of hydrogen peroxide and other things in the windex seems to do a faster job), and then washing in the washing machine.
You can still try it now, but it sounds like the blood already turned a different color/composition
Good luck!

To clarify, the blood is gone. I’m it’s spot is a beautiful white circle.

Here’s the problem: now, where it wasn’t previously stained, it’s all yellow.

It’s as if the oxiclean discolored all AROUND the stain!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:07 pm
zaq wrote:
For future reference:

1. when you get blood on fabric, soak it immediately in COLD water. Heat "cooks" the stain in.
2. if it's a tiny spot and you can't soak the fabric right away, dab some saliva on it. Saliva contains enzymes that help break down food and can prevent a blood spot from setting.
3. blood is a protein stain. Enzyme presoaks, if you can find any, are intended for this kind of stain and actually digest the protein.
4. if you don't have enzyme presoak, try a paste of meat tenderizer and water that you leave on for a few hours. meat tenderizer also breaks down protein.
5. wash the item again in COLD water. `

as a last resort, dab the stained part with diluted bleach on a cotton swab or old toothbrush. Dab dab dab until the stain fades and rinse immediately in lots of cold water. OK,I admit I would probably use straight bleach on a sheet because I lack patience to dab dab dab but I would rinse like mad so the bleach doesn't eat a hole in the fabric. Do try first on a hidden spot to make sure the bleach doesn't make the fabric turn yellow. If it's pure cotton it won't, but if it's part synthetic it might.

You can also try straight hydrogen peroxide.

The blood is gone.

It’s the stain that the oxiclean left around the stain that’s the problem

sarah14

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:25 pm
I don’t know if this will help u. I had tough stains that were not coming out. I made a paste of oxi powder w water, put on stain and left it overnight. The stain became lighter by tenfolds.

4sure

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:01 pm
Just recently had a similar thing with oxiclean. Don’t put any other form of oxiclean on it. It’s probably a chemical reaction to the type of fabric.

I googled and found to treat it with 2 denture cleaners in a pail of water. Soak until the yellow fades. It takes hours or even days. I soaked mine for almost 2 days and it came out only 70%. I might need even more time. Good luck.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:11 pm
If it's an all white sheet (no embellishments, not white on white design) you can spray with Windex in case the stain is still the blood components). Then wash. If there's still anything left after that, you can try a 10 minute diluted bleach soak. But I'm not sure.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....95665

4sure

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:13 pm
Here’s the link
https://www.ehow.com/how_58862......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry