Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Spoiled food

westchestermom

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 5:48 pm
I just want sympathy. We had no power from Tuesday until late Saturday. I had to toss everything in the fridge and freezer, of course after a big Costco run. My body is sore from scrubbing the spilled leaky yuck from the freezer. I did a small grocery shop today but I have to go spend money I don't have to replace the bulk of it. I couldn't do anything creative with ice because we have well/septic and I couldn't have all 5 of us not able to flush for 5 days so we had to stay in an expensive hotel (everything was booked for 30 miles all around). Had to get takeout/massive amount of snacks for that time too.

Next time I will hopefully be more prepared and try to fill the tub and buckets so we can kind of flush. I probably could have packed everything in ice but all the grocery stores lost power too and were closed, along with the gas stations. The kids are more cranky than usual and kind of disrespectful today. I'm feeling a little depressed. I need a break. My husband vacuumed, steamed the floors and took out all the garbage so he is definitely doing his part but I'm just so upset.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 5:55 pm
I’m sorry, that sucks. You definitely have my sympathy and hugs.

lk1234

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 6:15 pm
OP- that is so so upsetting and stressful. The mess, the loss of food, the need to re-purchase, the lack of basic household systems. It's a lot.

I was thinking of people in your situation the past few days and I really davened that things should somehow work out.

Is there any insurance/way to re-coup the losses?

Cheiny

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 6:35 pm
westchestermom wrote:
I just want sympathy. We had no power from Tuesday until late Saturday. I had to toss everything in the fridge and freezer, of course after a big Costco run. My body is sore from scrubbing the spilled leaky yuck from the freezer. I did a small grocery shop today but I have to go spend money I don't have to replace the bulk of it. I couldn't do anything creative with ice because we have well/septic and I couldn't have all 5 of us not able to flush for 5 days so we had to stay in an expensive hotel (everything was booked for 30 miles all around). Had to get takeout/massive amount of snacks for that time too.

Next time I will hopefully be more prepared and try to fill the tub and buckets so we can kind of flush. I probably could have packed everything in ice but all the grocery stores lost power too and were closed, along with the gas stations. The kids are more cranky than usual and kind of disrespectful today. I'm feeling a little depressed. I need a break. My husband vacuumed, steamed the floors and took out all the garbage so he is definitely doing his part but I'm just so upset.

Oh gosh, that is terrible. So sorry. Try to look at it as a kappara and may nothing worse ever happen!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 6:43 pm
I am so sorry that's awful! Hug

Can you close your bedroom door, ignore the rest of it for now, and take a soothing bath and then snuggle under the covers? Just snag a tiny break for yourself.

ila

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 6:44 pm
Con Edison is offering reimbursement of more than $500 worth of food and medication for customers who lost power for more than 48 hours due to Tropical Storm Isaias.
See YESHIVA world for more details I hope it helps you

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 6:55 pm
Ouch that’s really terrible.
May Hashem ‘reimburse’ you b’kefel kaflayim

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 7:01 pm
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 7:04 pm
O and R is also offering some sort of reimbursement I think. There is a form to file a claim.

westchestermom

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 9:05 pm
Unfortunately we have Nyseg, not Con Ed or Orange and Rockland. Nyseg refused to reimburse and homeowners insurance isn't worth the deductible.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 9:43 pm
westchestermom wrote:

We also had no power. It was awful. Tuesday- Sunday

But I can't imagine not being able to flush toooooooo.

That would probably push me over the edge.

BZH you recover from this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen