Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
NY Thruway: Kosher Takeout

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:45 am
I'll be driving from western PA through Scranton area along route 84 then up route 87 NY thruway all the way to Albany and then on to Vermont. Would like to plan out a stop to pick up some kosher food along the NY thruway somewhere between Scranton and Albany. Can anyone recommend a place that's not too far off the highway? Bonus if it's Chinese or sushi or Mexican or some other food that is not pizza and not felafel or shwarma! (Just cause I can always get those in my hometown.)

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:47 am
Albany has a price chopper with a kosher takeout

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:55 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Albany has a price chopper with a kosher takeout

Thanks that is good to know. I'm hoping to stop sooner than Albany that as it's actually close to the end of my journey. But again it's helpful to know that in case I need to stock up before my final destination in southern Vermont. I just googled and found that store you're talking about, it's called Colonie Price Chopper.
Anyone else have ideas for farther south on 87? Something near Newburgh or Kingston or even off of 84 in Montgomery or Middletown? For some reason I'm not finding things online.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Anyone else have ideas for farther south on 87? Something near Newburgh or Kingston or even off of 84 in Montgomery or Middletown? For some reason I'm not finding things online.

I'm pretty sure there is no kosher takeout available right off the 87. The only spot further south of Albany and north of 84 that I'm aware of would be Tannersville, but it is about 25 minutes or so off the highway, at which point you may as well drive to Albany.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:42 am
Kiryas Joel shouldn’t be too much out the way

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:23 pm
I drive from Montreal to Brooklyn very often, I wish there was a kosher fast food place on the way. When I'm very hungry I drive into Monsey, otherwise we get food in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:04 pm
I checked along route 84. There's nothing kosher/jewish on the way. You might have to make a lengthy'ish detour to get into the Catskills or Kiryas Yoel for kosher food. maybe plan your route that way.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:07 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I checked along route 84. There's nothing kosher/jewish on the way. You might have to make a lengthy'ish detour to get into the Catskills or Kiryas Yoel for kosher food. maybe plan your route that way.

Is KJ that much of a detour?

Just checked
It's about 15 minutes.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:09 pm
sorry, I recalculated it.
You can either do a detour into Kiryas yoel, it'll cost you approx half hour each way depending on traffice.
Or you can do the detour earlier, at Foresburg/Monticello, to the Starlight cafe. it's probably the closest restaurant to the I-84. it'll also cost you an extra half hour each way detour.
Either way, going to a kosher takeout on the way is an hour's detour.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:15 pm
Scranton s yeshivah has a co op
Kingston has kosher pizza some days

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:16 pm
This would be your KJ detour:
https://goo.gl/maps/FxWC6R3Y4bnYsGubA

Nvermind, to starlight cafe would take you 48 minutes each way.
Stick to kiryas yoel.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:19 pm
Your other option is to head into the catskills as I said. Maybe head for Liberty or Loch Sheldrake to a good eatery there, it will be a shtickl detour but you can pick it up again along the 52 & 209 and head towards albany.
LIke I said you may have to modify your route and travel a little longer if you want a really good restaurant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics